ideas

1. Doing My Best

Adaptive clothing suggestions?

Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for adaptive clothing or ways to modify regular clothing to make getting dressed easier on both CALS and PALS. My PALS, Steve, is nearly completely paralyzed from the neck down, and also has limited range of motion in his arms and shoulders. I got a great tip...
  2. Jhettinger

Wheelchair Headrest Cover Ideas

Looking for a terrycloth cover for headrest . Noticed with warmer temp head was sweating . thinking something like a shower cap, but daily washable
  3. J

Matress trouble

My husband shoulders are pretty much just bone now. He is side sleeper and is experiencing a lot of pain from laying that way. Is there anything we can try to protect his shoulder so he can still sleep on his side? We have tried wedges and that is so hard to get him in comfortable position...
  4. T

How to best help my pALS in early stages?

Good evening -- I'm asking all of you to share with me some ideas, tools, methods, anything that I can do to help my pALS with regular living tasks. He works just so hard to so such simple things -- getting dressed, undressed, etc - I know you guys know. He is in the early stages -- leg...
  5. P

Waiting and worrying

I'll try to keep this as succinct as possible. I have been experiencing a variety of symptoms for several months. Symptoms have included; shortness of breath, fatigue, tripping/falling and most recently atrophy and weakness in my left leg. I have been evaluated by a pulmonologist...
  6. M

Living will

I went to my attorney to have my living will redone. I have a power of attorney. I have made the decision that at the time of my choosing I may decide to evoke vsed.... I want everything spelled out so my healthcare surrogate/ power of attorney doesn't have to do any thinking. Only follow my...
  7. K

Protecting Against Heel Sores

My PALS is beginning to feel some sensitivity on his heels due to being in bed longer at night and trying to keep his feet up during the day. I thought about rolling up a towel really tight and placing it under his ankles at night or using a roll pillow. I also know there are boots but wondered...
  8. Nikki J

Making things easier Part 5

Part 3 is here with links to previous https://www.alsforums.com/forum/other/40721-making-things-easier-part-3-a.html Part 4 is here https://www.alsforums.com/forum/other/42231-making-things-easier-part-4-a.html I like to revisit this topic periodically for several reasons. I do think this is...
  9. T

So much air!

My Dad got his tube in early December. We've tried both gravity and now pump feeding. He is just not comfortable. He can't get down more than 3 cans a day without being miserable. We've tried the first 1.5 calorie formula, a higher 2.0 calorie formula, and a 1.5 with lower fiber. We are...
  10. N

what to do when...

My PALS can't sip liquids or eat applesauce to get his pills down? I see him struggle now to suck the fluid through the straw and have asked the palliative nurse how he can take his meds if he can't swallow them this way and she said we just don't give them to him if they don't come in a...
Back