Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Did anyone else see Stephan Hawking on The Big Bang Theory tonight. I find it very encouraging to see him so active at this later stage of the disease.

Sorry, Missy. I wished I had. Put on list to get TV back in the house.

Toto, has anyone got there and covered you up yet?

Yes, Kiwi and thank you for remembering.

Toto, go to abc.com tomorrow and see if the episode is online...it's at the very end of the show...

Glad you're warmer now, I have my heating pad on tonight!

I saw it....amazing! Love that show...have a nephew similar to Sheldon...

I missed the episode, although I love the show. This may sound petty but I have to say I think the press that Hawking's get does not always help us. A few months ago there was a lot of press about how he "beat the odds" and has lived 50 years with ALS. Obviously regardless of your disease to live as long as he has on a ventilator is a feat. Tha being said I believe 1) that when one of the most recognizable names with ALS has lived 50 years with the disease it creates a misleading perception and 2) the whole concept that he beat the odds is also misleading. He obviously went on a ventilator (which obviously is a presonal decision with no right or wrong answer) however most likely if he never went on a ventillator he obviously would have passed away a long time ago so he did not beat any odds.

So while I wish Stephen nothing but the best I think that some of the publicity he receives creates a mispercetion about ALS and does not serve our community in a helpful way. Just my perspective.

Ted, I absolutely agree with you! Have you ever seen any press as to the cost involved in his care? He surely has round the clock assistance and a team of caregivers and assistants that allow him to function as he does. It would be great for the public to see behind the scenes. Many in the US are struggling financially just to acquire the adaptive equipment and medication needed.
CALS are stretched to the breaking point, many functioning without outside help until Hospice is called in.

Yeap Ted, too right, S.H. has his own web site, lots of info there if you want to read up on the man. He had his share of lean years early on apparently but a lot of his communication/support equipment has been developed and donated by the manufactures. Lots of care provided by the university after it dawned on them how valuable an asset he was going to be and became high profile. Now I reckon he can afford all the care he needs and apparently has heaps as one would expect. Wish him nothing but the best of course, nothing but, but he's not in any way typical.

Yes, Deb, there has been quite a bit of press on the cost of his care. It is absorbed by the NHS (National Health Service) in England. Hawking often talks about the fact that he would not be alive if it weren't for the medical care he has in England. He is a staunch defender of the Obama medical reforms. (probably my least favorite thing about him in that I don't see them as reforms)

Thanks Miss and Kiwi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back