Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
We need a ramp to get into the house from the garage. It is an attached garage, has 2 steps (16in. total rise) up. I like the idea of a temporary/portable ramp for flexibility; we are looking at the roll-a-ramp online, but can't see it in person. Is anyone familiar with this ramp? Have you seen it or have it? We like the idea that it can be shortened & taken when visiting family, etc.

Since the length we need is 10ft., ( basesd on the calculations they give- standard angle of 7degrees is 12ft., restricted space- 8degrees is 10ft., & very restricted space is 9degrees at 9ft. long) is this practical? Do we even REALLY need it that long?

Thinking if we need to, we will build a platform at the door & ramp will be at a 90degree angle. Would we then be better off building the whole thing?

Need to do this asap- expecting a "Jazzy chair" from the loaner closet anyday; and Jim can barely get up the 2 steps now. I have to give him a "boost" from behind, which he doesn't really mind! LOL

Any other ideas? All comments & suggestions welcome.
Thanks!

we have a roll up ramp, which we find very usefull, we use it in various parts of the house, to access the garage, which is our easiest entry/exit point out of the house. We use it to access the garden also. I think that angle is more than recommended. The only thing I would say about ours, is that the frame (on a 5 foot ramp) is actually 5 foot long, so we need to be able to fit it in our vehicle to take it to other peoples homes. Not sure if the frame on longer ramps would fold smaller. Other than that we are pleased with it. Watch the weight limits of the ramp also if you are taking a heavy electric chair on it.

We ended up going with a wheelchair lift to get in from the garage as a permanent solution. It was more expensive but saved us room in the garage, which is much needed. We had several issues come up with the dimensions needed for a ramp if I remember correctly and this just worked out better.

Wheel chair lift, Wheel chair stair lift, ThyssenKrupp Access

Jennifer, I suspect you will need the 10'. One way to check is to beg/borrow/steal a standard 8' sheet of heavy plywood, raise it 13" on one end and see if the angle is OK for the wheelchair. This will be the same angle as a 10' ramp going up 16". I find 5/8" plywood makes great, versatile and cheap ramps. I carry a 4' one on the floor of my van to have it handy when needed. I just park my scooter on top of it so it takes up no extra space.

I bought a roll-up ramp a few years ago to carry with me. I used it once. It is 4 or 5' long. I found it awkward, heavy, space consuming and of course expensive. It's now sitting out in my shed.

mare, no ramp advice but I love your new avatar!

Marianne,

You might get by with a ramp but I know nothing about them (yet).

In my case I have a 30" rise and not nearly enough room for a ramp. I bought a used platform lift PL-50. They sell new for $3000 but found one on craigslist for $1500. If you can't get a ramp to work for you, look into this approach.

I occasionally enjoy a "boost" from behind also.

-Tom

I have a portable 41 lbs fold in half 5 ft ramp from ALS loaner closet that does 2 stairs. I also have a 10 ft fold in 4 that will do 4-5 stairs. It weighs about 80 lbs. From the loan closet as well. Ask them before buying.

AL.

Al-

So, 5ft. can do 2 steps (16 in.)? You don't need a platform to stop & open the door?
I did see those, but thought they were too short. (too much incline) Are you using the lawn-mower to get up that slope? LOL

Never thought to check the closet for them- thanks!

Tom-

Is that the same as duplinwino's? We looked at them, but thought they were too much to pay for 2 lousy steps! HAHA!

When you buy from Craigslist, who does the installation?

Mare, I have no ramp advice but like Barry I think your new avatar is pretty cute. ;)

Marianne,

No the lift I have is different. It's from Mac's lift and here's a link:
Vertical Home Lift

When I buy from craigslist my kids get to do the installation! Free! This is a great thing for all those people who say "let me know if there's ever anything I can do".

Yeah, I wish there was an easier way. For me it's 4 steps not 2. For 2 steps I think I would have put my stubborn suit on and just built a ramp! Ten feet x three feet chews up a lot of garage.

-Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
2 steps is ok with the 5 ft. A bit steep but no problem going in. I back out if I've had a bit of wine. Feels safer. Power chair, no more lawnmowers for me. We were in Bay Village Ohio last year for a wedding and rented a ramp for the weekend. You might try that to see how it works for you.

AL.

We looked and looked on uk sites and paid about £120, less than $200 US delivered, so it was not expensive and it does what we want. So we are pleased with it.

Jennifer-
Is that the "Roll-a-Ramp" brand? That is a much better price; however, it's made in the UK, so you are saving import fees. Also, I don't see where there is a frame on the product I was looking at.

Al-
Thanks; we will try one out first (either rent or loaner closet); maybe go with 6ft. to see if that incline will be OK. Remember, Jim will be a novice rider!
We did think that 10-12ft. seemed like an "overkill"- I know safety first, but that did seem excessive!

we bought it from betterlifehealthcare .com £110 delivered. The ramp rolls up and fits inside a bag to carry it, very neat, but the side track is 5 foot long and does not fold. We leave it made up as it is light enough to move between one of two locations we use it in. Sorry dont know if they do similar, your side of the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back