Feeling and not feeling fasciculatons (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsterdam

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
NL
State
North Holland
City
Amsterdan
Three weeks ago suddenly I got hedeaches and later some sporadical pricking pain in some muscles and the urethra. After a week the doctor told me that it was is a common flu-virus and that in a few days all would be fine.
After I day I felt better and went to the gym, I stepped 25 min in the orbital machine. When coming back home that night I got an onset of twitching in both thighs, calves and sporadically in arms, back, abdominal (just two weeks ago)... Since then I have had very different sensorial feelings like tingling in my hands and feet, pain and tiredness in my legs, stiff muscle in my leftt thigh, even the "crawling bug" feeling under the skin. A nerologist made a physical checking 3 days after the onset (11 days ago) and he did not find any irregular sign, but only the fasciculatons. He appoointed a new cheking on May 6h.

NEW FASCICULATIONS
Yesterday I was confident that I could have BFS, but today I saw, but not feel, a new sort of fine-fast "fasciculations" when I flex my thighs. I though those were "fibrillations", but fibrilations can not seen by a naked eye. The original twitching was strong and could some times move my knee. And still occurs, but the NEW "fasculations" along boh thigh are nor thick or wide but long and I DO NOT FEEL THEM AT ALL. My muscles still have muscular tone, i can contract them, I feel them tired but keep full range of movement. I am getting the impression that the left leg is slightly samller,, but It has been always my weak leg. I also have got spinal myoclonus: very strong jers in my back when falling as sleep.
I have been doing physotherapy in my left thigh, also a lot of strong massage mainly in the left buttocks and lees in the right. The muscles there have been hard for many years, opressing the nerves and that caused me sciatica like pain.

Question: Could be these fine-fast long fasciulations when contracting my thight a consequence of swollen tissue that presses the nerves? Why I do not feel them? THANKS for your attention, HOPE TO GET YOUR OPINION. G (49 years old).

First 2 house keeping things. You are here about yourself. Whether or not you happen to have a friend with MND as your interest states that is misleading. Please change to interested in learning about MND and change the diagnosis date to 00/0000. Thank you. It will reduce confusion

Twitches come in all varieties whether benign or not. You were told you had a virus at the beginning of this. All is consistent with a post viral syndrome which can take time- months even- to resolve

Some different between leg size is utterly normal.

And fibrillations, just fyi,are movements of a single muscle fibre that can not be seen or felt and are detected on an emg.

If you have further concerns follow up with your doctor but I see nothing in your description that should bring you here

Good luck

Thanks Nikki for your kind response,
I understand perfectly your remarks. I will make the corrections that you pointed.
Yes, I am asking about myself and not about my friend who had ALS.
Hope that, as you say, it is a viral syndrome.
Thanks for your understanding!

Last edited:
Changes after 18 days twitching. What to thing?!!!

Changes after 18 days from the onset:
The typical "twitches" [sporadical individual, well felt and seen, partial contractons of muscles] are now rather seldom and weaker. That was giving me some optimist yesterday night.
However, now checking my legs basically when contracting them, I see constant rythmic movements of long fascias (thin groups of fibers), which I practically do not feel, in both thighs and calves.
This is not the way in which *** presents, it usually migrates from a local onset to other muscles. I do not know what to think... ANY IDEA OR COMMENTARY?
Could be also be benign "fasciculations"?
Thanks!

I repeat
Twitches come in all varieties whether benign or not. You were told you had a virus at the beginning of this. All is consistent with a post viral syndrome which can take time- months even- to resolve

Thanks Nikke for publishing my message and for your opinion.
I hope that you understand my concerns.
I really wish I had no reason to write in this forum.
Yes, the GP told me, just based in my symptoms, that I had a viral infecton.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with the neurologist.
Hope to hear realistic and good answers for me.
Have a good day!

Hello,
On Apr. 29 the neurologist, based ONLY in physical evaluation, told me that I had NO symptoms of neurological concern.
That my fasciculations could have another cause but not neurological.
Unfortunately new symptoms appeared:
I have painful points in my hands, since yesterday the area around my elbows has turned painful.
My sight has got very blurry in last weeks.
The GP doctor assumes that it is due to my "out of control anxiety".
I do not like to be anxious, but my symptoms are real.
3 days ago I started an anxiolytic treatment with "Caltoprima".
I do not know how to explain all this. Perhaps you can help me with your comments.
Thanks!

Basing a medical opinion on a clinical exam is how most medicine should be practiced.

Yes your symptoms are real. That doesn’t mean you have any reason to fear ALS. Painful points and blurry vision have absolutely nothing to do with ALS. Follow up with your GP again please.

Good luck

Thanks, Nikki!
Your opinion is important for me.
On Monday I go to my GP I will aks new tests.
He thinks is all is caused by anxiety. I hope that is the full explanation.
I feel tiredness.
I need to wait at least two weeks for the positive effects of the anxiolitic (Citalopram, right name). but there are negative effects.
Good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back