Old 02-22-2019, 08:59 AM #1
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Brooklyn
State: New York
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Drd94 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Worried

Hey everyone, thanks for reading. I am a 24 year old girl, no family history of ALS. I KNOW that I have health anxiety but I canít seem to shake the idea that what Iím experiencing might be ALS.

So two weeks ago I was home and my finger was twitching. Naturally I panicked and googled and ALS popped up. I was reassured that I didnít have it because I didnít have any other symptoms until I looked at my tongue. Then I realized it was also twitching. Then I felt my knee twitching and other parts of my body.
I went to my neuro. He did a physical exam and he said he doesnít see anything indicative of anything serious.

NOW I feel that my throat is sort of twitching when I am going to sleep as well as the right side of my neck. I feel like something is in my throat and I FEEL like I canít swallow when Iím eating. I have also started to hiccup like once or twice multiple times a day. Iím nervous that this is bulbar onset.

I know this is a serious condition and that Iím probably just experiencing extreme health anxiety. I just wanted to say thank you ahead of time to anyone who responds, I really appreciate it.
Thanks from
jip2019 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:59 AM #2

Forum Moderator

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute

Forum Moderator

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried

All youíve mentioned is twitching. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless. Many normal healthy people twitch. The hallmark of ALS is muscle function failure, which you have not described.

If you saw a neurologist and your exam was not indicative of anything serious, then youíre cleared of ALS.

Please read this carefully and it should answer any additional questions you may have.

http://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-...-symptoms.html

But you donít need to be here, and thatís a good thing.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:01 PM #3
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you Karen. I really have been avoiding posting here because I didnít want to be ridiculous. But I really do appreciate your response.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:49 PM #4
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

One more thing. Does my tongue look atrophied. Sorry guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFC7501C-05C5-40E3-AB05-CDEE34DAB3F4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	11564  
Old 02-24-2019, 03:10 PM #5
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud of

To your "Sorry guys"....

NO.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:35 PM #6

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend is just really niceBestfriendstilltheend is just really niceBestfriendstilltheend is just really niceBestfriendstilltheend is just really nice

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend is just really niceBestfriendstilltheend is just really niceBestfriendstilltheend is just really niceBestfriendstilltheend is just really nice

Number one most unnecessary pic on the DIHALS section is a tongue pic. Not necessary and I've yet to see anyone who posts these pics diagnosed with ALS. Please do not come to a forum of terminally ill people and their caregivers, knowing you have health anxiety, and take time from them when you've already had your questions answered.

Take good care and good luck to you in the future. I suggest you focus on your anxiety. Your time would be well served in that area.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, anxiety, bulbar, bulbar onset, eating, family, family history, finger, health, onset, reading, sleep, swallow, symptoms, tongue, twitching, wanted, worried