Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM #1
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Sierra Vista
State: Arizona
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
tlars is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Sierra Vista
State: Arizona
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
tlars is on a distinguished road
Default Muscle atrophy (?)

Hello! Thank you in advance to anyone who gets back to me. I have muscle twitching mostly in my left leg but also all over my body, pretty normal for me but I just wanted to state it. My left leg on my upper thigh has a dent in it and after doing some research the first article that pulled up naturally was about ALS. Panicked and concerned I started hyper focusing on my left leg noticing that the inside of the the thigh muscle is a bit thinner and dips in a bit as well. This may just be do to the fact that it's my weaker leg, I always pop my hip to the right and lean more on my right side and when I do leg exercises at the gym I notice I put a bit more pressure on my right leg. I have no noticable muscle weakness in the left leg but the smaller appearance worries me.

So after all that if your still with me I would like to know what muscle wasting is like, how fast it happens, and if you have any sensations like a tingling in the limb its occurring in.
Thank you for your time I really appreciate it!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 PM #2
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muscle atrophy (?)

You will appreciate that we are not going to draw you a picture of muscle atrophy that you don't have. That only scares people. Also, ALS is not the only reason for atrophy.

The key fact in what you have said is lack of weakness in the weaker leg (and many of us do have a weaker arm and/or leg). Asymmetry in appearance is also normal.

Twitches, courtesy of Google, often lead people this direction, but it is a false relationship, fortunately. A trainer at your gym could probably help you build up the weaker leg.

Best,
Laurie
Old 01-17-2019, 10:12 AM #3

City: Mahomet
State: illinois
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
City: Mahomet
State: illinois
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: Muscle atrophy (?)

If you are concerned you should make an appointment and discuss this in detail with your Primary Care Physician. A trainer at a gym was the first to notice a left side weakness area, but attributed it to tight muscles. He was wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
atrophy, back, hip, ice, muscle, muscle twitching, muscle wasting, muscle weakness, pressure, research, twitching, wanted, weakness, worries