Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Queens
I should begin by saying that I am 23 years old and thus the possibility of me actually having ALS is, as I'm sure you know, very remote. That being said, I have a few concerns that I hope can be dispelled by your feedback.

Here are my symptoms:
Muscle weakness in my arms. I can no longer do push ups and my arm muscles begin to burn from strain immediately after I lift my arms level with or above my head. There is still much I can do however. Things such as lifting up a cup of coffee are by no means impossible, only more taxing

My legs are also weaker to the extent where walking, though certainly possible, does not feel natural and I am less agile. (I have not yet tripped though.) My chest and core are also compromised - I can't do sit-ups.

As a result of these muscles weaknesses I am also more easily fatigued and muscle soreness, for the muscles that I mentioned, is constant.

Then there are some things which come and go (and from what I've read things don't come and go with ALS...) - For the last several months (before my arm and leg weakness) my tongue lost its flexibility while I am eating or after I have had to speak for durations longer than (roughly) 5 minutes. I have difficulty moving food around in my mouth and can't move the tip of my tongue to my back teeth, additionally certain speech sounds have also become difficult (but only after eating or speaking for a significant duration). In the same circumstances, my lips become weak and in particular I lose a good amount of control of my lower lip. Speech sounds involving the lips also become difficult, I lose the ability to whistle, and my smile becomes contorted.
The issues with my tongue and lips are compounded by stress and resolves themselves with time, though the whistling thing is always somewhat difficult and lower lip problems are constant.

That is everything. Sorry to complain on your forums, but I have an appointment with a general practitioner on Tuesday and though I will mention all this then, I would like to hear what you have to say about my real, or more likely exaggerated(!), problems. Perhaps in a month or so, everything will be fine and some lifestyle changes are the only thing required.

Thanks for your help. Sorry I am so longwinded.

1) things that 'come and go' don't count. ALS symptoms don't go away.
2) read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING
3) go see your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back