Interest: Other
Araneg is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Jacksonville
State: FL
Lightbulb Scared and looking for advice

Good afternoon, I have been lurking on here a couple weeks but have not currently been able to find anyone share the specific symptoms I am having and was hoping some kind soul would be able to give me some guidance. Just over two months ago I began a somewhat rigorous routine of weight lifting (free weights like squats, dead lifts, etc.) while intermittently throwing in some p90x3 (lots of pull ups, push-ups, burpes, etc.) I had never weight lifted before this and did push myself more then I should have.

Anyway, a month and 2 weeks ago I began to notice that my right bicep was shaking/ratcheting whenever I would extend it at a medium pace, after further examination I discovered the same was true of my left arm (to a lesser degree). This only happened when I extended it, not curled it toward my shoulder, and is not as bad if I extend it above my head or more behind me. Along with the initial findings I also noticed ratcheting movement in my right pinky and ring fingers when curling them, along with the same shaky movement when extending or doing a downward (think of a bird flapping) movement with my shoulders. I also have shaking when doing certain motions in my thigh.

I am a fairly strong individual and have never experienced any of this. I am shaking whenever I hold up weight that would have never been a problem before ie. Holding myself in the up position for push-ups. There is a backlog with the VA and I just need some advice of if I should be as scared as I am becoming? Sorry to bother everyone with my fear….waiting for a doctor is just a horrible feeling. Looking up what may cause the shaking started a mess of fear.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:39 PM #2
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared and looking for advice

Hi
If you have been reading here while lurking you would have noticed that shaking/racheting could never be considered a concern for ALS.

Your new exercise regime, that you overdid is worth thinking about.

If you didn't already read the sticky post, please do so now. You will notice there is nothing in there about your symptoms being a cause for concern. This is our official position.

I hope you get over your fears quickly and enjoy life.

Here is the sticky you need to read (read again if you did read already)
http://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-...-symptoms.html
Old 07-16-2016, 11:02 PM #3
Very Helpful Member

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Lkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant future
Very Helpful Member

Lkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant future

What you are describing is very common with beginning a heavy workout routine. Slow the pace a little and work your way back up you will be fine. Then you might want to think on the health anxiety that would get you thinking ALS on this to begin with.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 AM #4
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thanks for the input. I failed to mention that I quit the routine after the shaking started in order to rest the muscles. It has been the continued shaking from that point (a month and a half of rest) that is concerning me. I suppose that without that bit of info I did sound ridiculous . I am not normally anxious like this , yet the glory that is google referenced me here. As a positive I am learning a lot more about what others have to go through.

Last edited by Araneg : 07-17-2016 at 06:02 AM
Old 07-17-2016, 06:27 AM #5
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Shaking in exertion (or just shaking period) is not an ALS symptom. Lay your fears to rest- that's not what you have.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM #6
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Still sounds nothing ALS, no matter what you may suddenly remember to add.

I hope you don't have to wait too long and will believe your doctor.

All the best.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, arm, fingers, free, ice, lifts, movement, problem, scared, shaking, shoulder, symptoms