Old 03-28-2016, 10:27 AM #1
Banned

City: Milwaukee
State: WI
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Sacred is on a distinguished road
Banned
Default Allergies or Bulbar ALS?

Good day.

My name is Steve. I'm a 37 year old male from Wisconsin (Go Packers!) A few months ago, I started having body wide twitching. I didn't think to much of it, because I am very active and thought that my muscles was just over reacting to the strenuous activities. But as the months passed, I started to get more worried. So, I decided to see a doctor about it. She, too, didn't think to much about it, and ordered a panel of test. While I awaited my result, I started doing some research, and it lead me to ALS. Naturally I panicked, as this wasn't even on my radar. When the test result came back, she noted that everything looked normal, but suggested I start taking magnesium pills (My mag level was 1.9, the normal range is 1.8-3.0 ML) My only thought is that My mag levels are pretty close to being low. I did see where low mag can cause muscle twitching and spasms. I was relieved to see this. About a week ago, i started to have a change in my voice after a game of softball in cold weather. I would have thought a cold, but I don't have a change in mucus color. My friend, and wife all noticed that my voice sounded deeper. I also have to clear my throat a lot, which isn't weird, but still concerning. I realize its allergy season in all, but I am not aware the allergies can make someone's voice deeper. I haven't notice a lot of congestion, but I can "feel" it in my nostrils (If that eve makes sense.)

So, to avoid more rambling, does the keeping of my voice sound, coupled with the twitching all over my body (Including face, tongue, lips) sound concerning for Bulbar onset? The twitching in my lips feels more like a quiver.

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:22 PM #2
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allergies or Bulbar ALS?

I see no reason to be concerned about ALS.

Dr Google sends every twitcher to us. Sorry, but you're wasting your time thinking about ALS.

If you don't trust your doctor, get a new one.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:59 PM #3
Banned

Banned

Mike.

Thank you for your answer. Something else I failed to mention, is it seems my tongue is getting weaker. I am finding it harder to push my cheeks out as far with my tongue. Seems like progressive weakness?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:30 PM #4
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
State: FL
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold

Sacred, If you are truly worried, you need to go back to your doctor. They can see you, do a physical and neuro assessment, etc. We are simply lay people who have or have helped someone with the disease. We are not doctors, sorry
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 PM #5
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

My voice gets deeper when I am trying to summon enough volume to overcome my daily allergies and/or hear myself through stuffed ears, meds notwithstanding. I can feel nasal gunk pretty much 24/7.

I would try the Mg, liquids, lots of fruits, veg and protein, and an OTC nasal steroid (my fave is Nasacort). I don't think you have much to worry about.

Best,
Laurie
Old 03-29-2016, 10:51 AM #6
Banned

Banned

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I just have one more and I'll be out of your hair. It seems I'm starting to have difficulty swallowing. The liquids go down just fine, but I get a feeling that some of it is in my nose. It almost feels like congestion, and almost makes me want to sneeze sometimes. I don't know what ALS difficulty swallowing is, which is why I'm asking. Just seems like its all happening fast. I don't want to be a bother or anytning, just want opinions from the experts.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 AM #7
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Go to your doctor
Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 AM #8
Banned

Banned
Default Breathing issues

Hello all..

Couldn't find my original post. I've started to develop breathing problems. I feel the urge to want to take deep breathes, in hopes of getting the "satisfying" feeling. I've also started to have a zapping like feelings in my head. It makes me feel spaced out.. Its almost like the point of fainting. I went to the ER, and my oxygen levels were normal, blood work and xray were good.. Does this sound like ALS breathing problems? I want to point out that I have just quit Duloxetine cold turkey last week..

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 PM #9

City: Northern
State: NJ
starente15 has a spectacular aura aboutstarente15 has a spectacular aura about
City: Northern
State: NJ
starente15 has a spectacular aura aboutstarente15 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Breathing issues

No, does not sound like ALS.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:57 PM #10
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breathing issues

Quitting that med cold turkey is dangerous - go to your doctor.

There is not a single chance you have ALS but you do have serious issues.
Closed Thread

Tags
allergies, als, als?, back, ball, breathing, breathing problems, bulbar, bulbar als, bulbar onset, cold, friend, lead, magnesium, mucus, muscle twitching, muscles, onset, oxygen, problems, research, spasms, test, tongue, turkey, twitching, voice, work, worried