Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
As a 6'4" guy finding a covering that goes to mid calf or lower for use while sitting in a wheelchair without pants has been near impossible.

I tried several hospital gowns from many companies. Most came down to just cover the knee. Buck and Buck, Silverton, and many more. Also tried the cotton T-Shirt night gowns. As I'm not lady like, when I cross my legs a gown that doesn't drape nearly to my feet is a problem, LOL.

I did consider kilts. They weren't long enough for the wheelchair for me plus they aren't cheap. (They would have looked good on me!)

I had a problem with diarrhea yesterday and needed a solution for running around the house in my PWC with family around. I tried my wife's Snuggie. That works fine. Goes about to my feet and is a soft material.

For me it looks like when I have to use a hospital gown all the time in the future, I'm going with the Snuggie.

Sad that I can't use the kilts. :( LOL

Interesting . . . Although I'm no where near as tall as you the snuggle would be warmer than a hospital gown, too. Thanks for the tip.

i have a snuggy and it does held hiding the goodies

Interesting indeed ! you should wear what makes you easy not what people think to do you.

I hope I did not offend but I found this online

Silvert's Adaptive clothing and footwear

Men's & Women's Disabled Adaptive Clothing
Senior

Mens Cotton Open Back Adaptive Pants - Wheelchair Pants
Item # 50230,50231
Recommend this product?

You Asked and We Listened! Open back pants are now available in breathable, quality machine washable soft polyester-cotton! Styled with two side pockets and a zipper fly. Comfortable multi-needle elastic waist with adjustable snap closure. Large back flap. Mens pants for wheelchair users offer both convenience and discretion to those who use a wheelchair, or who are incontinent or have incontinence issues. Wheelchair pants are designed for dressing from a seated position! Terrific for those that do not weight bear.

How do you put these mens wheelchair pants on?
1.The individual remains in a seated position.
2.The individuals legs are inserted into the pant legs and drawn up to the upper thigh.
3.The caregiver simply snaps the generous overlap into place. The person being dressed is left completely covered without ever having to stand.
4.Assisted disrobing is just as easy.
These mens adaptive pants for handicapped men are terrific for elderly/seniors who are disabled or wheelchair dependent. This item is usually offered in a full figure plus size range. A great product for home care, retirement and nursing home settings.

My post went to moderation...... stayed tuned.

my u can find a snuggie in tartan add a big leather belt and dagger and you'd look fierce !

Here ya go Joe. Perfect!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 864
@vickim - It is nice stuff but the legs are too short. Generally a 31" inseam. I require a 35" inseam. So in a sitting position those pants are at mid calf. Yes, I tried them and sent them back. Luckily, most men can use it. I've been having to buy tall mens sizes in pants and shirts for decades. I could dress in regular clothes. Think of me at work with a dress shirt and dress pants on. The long sleeve shirt sleeves go to about midway between the wrist and the elbow, the pants just below mid calf. I'd look like a dufus. LOL

Any seamstresses around? I recall reading that one guy's MIL had made him a couple of kilts. There are probably patterns at the local fabric/craft store. Custom length for those long legs! You'll have to come up with some very long kneesocks though.

There are instructions for adapting your regular pants for the PWC at ALS from both sides dot org
Let us know what works

i'd forgotten that deb. i even saved some jeans cause of that

Some good ideas here that I will tuck away for use all too soon, as my legs are going fast.

And I'm Scotch-Irish, but clan tartans can be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back