Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
UT
City
Salt Lake City
The clinic called today to let me know that my file had been routed to the entirely wrong area of clinical neurosciences, resulting in the first appointment in April (which, BTW, wasn't even with the right guy!). After my 5 messages I've left this week, they finally got my file to the ALS doc who reviewed and had his assistant call and schedule me for a week from today! YAY!

So, I am super glad that I double checked and stayed on top of it. The assistant said to plan on 4 hours, but it may be longer, so I'm assuming they'll do the EMG etc that day, so I may have some answers as early as next week!

Here's another symptom type question though (hope I'm not annoying anyone . . . ): When I saw the neurologist 2 weeks ago, my left foot was obviously very weak (couldn't balance, couldn't lift front of it, etc). I couldn't really walk on toes on either foot, but the right one seemed pretty good otherwise. Now it is quickly becoming as wobbly as the left. There's no way ALS would move that quickly into the other foot, is there? I mean, wouldn't it just continue up my left leg before starting on the right? Doesn't this seem more like a neuropathy or autoimmune thing? I know none of you can tell me these things, but I'm taking this as a good development! :p

Good for you! We often are our best advocates. They may tell you, but in case they don't - do not wear any type of skin lotion, anywhere. I was warned that the test can be made painful if lotion is used.

I'm thinking what you are correct about the right foot thing. Doesn't sound like typical ALS presentation, from what I've read and experienced.

Hope you get some restful sleep between now and then.

Thanks, Elaine! I am just so relieved to know that I don't have to wait until APRIL! The thought of sitting around fretting for that long with no information was just not good. But a week? That I can handle . . .

What good news! Wear a sweater and maybe warm sweats--they say body temperature is important for a good reading too i.e. don't want to be too cold and sometimes they will warm you up first if you feel too cool. You're probably too sophisticated to go in sweats though LOL. I know Elaine is as I have looked at her albums--what a pretty lady she is.

Laurel

Last edited:
Petlover Im glad you got your apointment and don't have to wait till April.
Glad you called and bugged them.

Thanks, Ysabel. I hope you get in soon as well. Laurel, I have no issue with sweats! I'm a college professor . . . I'm lucky if my shoes match most days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back