Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
Haley was the teenager that came down with ALS at 16 and passed away at 17 here in my hometown. She was in choir and drama at high school and tonight, I tuned her choir director's home piano.

The choir director knows about my bout with PLS and never fails to ask how I'm doing. Very kind and something very few people do (because very few people know about it).

Anyway, her husband is a very good songwriter/guitarist and he shared a song with me this evening that he had written about Haley.

What I learned this evening was that the doctors believe one possible reason for the disease spreading so quickly through her body was that she was still going through puberty when things are happening rapidly throughout the human body. Somehow, this also had an effect on speeding up the progression of ALS during this time.

Anyway, it was a very pleasant visit after the tuning job.

Kim

Can you share the song? Very sad that someone so young would get ALS and yet live her life the way she did with no cure in sight. I hate this. But perhaps the friends and students that knew her have learned a hard lesson about how precious life is. I hope so.

Bless you Kim.

Thank you for sharing and I hope that you will share the song. Such a sad story.

I'll see if I can't get a copy of it and put it on youtube. It has kind of a folk melody to it that brought me back to Peter, Paul & Mary. The choir director's husband and daughter (a good friend of Haley's) sing on it.

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back