Reason
Loved one DX
Country
uk
State
england
City
leicester
can anyone tell me what a bipap is. my uncle had had als for5months and he hasnt got a clue what it is he has never heard of a bipap it hes slurring his words and his wrist are very weak do u think the doctor should be telling him all this.or am i moving to fast asking these questions:roll:

A BiPap is a machine that helps patients breathe. You wear a mask in your sleep, or while awake, and the BiPap pushes air in and out of your lungs, thus resting the diaphragm and other muscles that normally "work" the lungs. It is these muscles that give out in ALS ... the lungs themselves, being organs not muscles, remain fine.

Generally it is advised to start BiPap use as early as possible to extend the functionality of the lung muscles as long as possible. Some people resist BiPap at first, but we all come to accept it eventually. It is very beneficial.

You're not moving too fast! It's best to be prepared for what's coming, and there's a lot to learn about the gizmos that extend ALS patients lives. It's new to all of us at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back