Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
This is mainly a question for those with upper limb/arm onset - how long did it take before the desease moved to your legs? Or was there an overlap? Thanks, Dani

I have overlap - left side arm and leg are getting bad. Just starting to feel effects in right leg.

You are looking for up -> down , and I am left -> right . Just being different I guess ;)

Glen

It took between 1 to 2 years. It was subtle. It slowly and gradually weakened my legs.

We noticed Glen's hands weakening maybe 18 months ago. In the past few weeks we've started noticing gait change. Weakness in his hands/arms started on the left side. His right leg seems to be weakening first. Go figure.

My mothers speach and swallowing went first - her arm weakness followed, but there was an overlap with her leg weakness. Her right side was the first to go. Her left side is going but she is still able to use her lightwriter.

Stay strong
Mhairi
praying for all of those living with MND

I knew there was no single pattern but was curious about the time frame. My partners hands have been affected first, but he is still walking, eating and talking unaided. If there is some kind of reassurance in all of this then it is the gradual weakness/progression that Joel mentions, giving one enough time to acquire neccessary equipment. Dani

Sorry about your partner Danijela. Hopefully his progression will remain slow!

My husband started with speech difficulties at the same time his left hand was weak. Now both of his hands/arms are terribly atrophied and he is very difficult to understand, but he is still walking. His legs are losing muscle though.

It's something, this walking business. It gives a degree of independence. CJ , how long did it take from one arm to the other? And where is the muscle loss in his legs? D

Danijela, this desease is so crazy and everbody so different, i have only lost some muscles in all of my limbs so I can walk etc but seem to be weakning constantly. my gait changed in May and the limbs since then. It sounds like your partner is slow progression which is great,celabrate!

Hi Blackpool,

oh, we are grateful that it has not been rapid! By the way, my partner grew up in Blackpool, and we go there very ofen as we have family and friends living there. Actually, he grew up in Cleveleys, but I usually don't narrow it that much as nobody knows it:grin:

my left calf and forearm are where it shows. I noticed last night that my right calf is starting to catch up.

Time frame - july 2007 noticed the stumbles , oct 2008 very weak left leg , put brace on - then the left calf shrunk by Jan 2009. July 2009 left hand and forearm arm shrinking.

Glen

Danejela, My stepmother lives in Clevleys she grew up in Thornton. I grew up in Blackpool.PM me if you want to.

Blackpool,
Are you losing muscles only in one limb?
Best wishes, Erica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back