Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
mn
City
coon rapids
My husband was diagnosed with ALS 3 years ago. It has been a roller coaster ride, but he has been in generally good spirits. Lately he is so down that it is breaking my heart. He has always been opinionated, but for the last month or so he just answers with "I don't care" or "whatever you want." When I try to talk to him he tells me nothing is wrong. I know that he is sad about how hard I have to work, but he also doesn't want other people taking care of him. He is on antidepressents (has been for 3 years), but I am very worried about him. I feel so guilty that it may be my own unhappiness making him feel worse. Has anyone else gone through a bout like this with their PALS?

I am a PALS and have gone through a similar situation to what you have described. In my case it was Emotional Lability. Once we found medication that I could take the problem disappeared. I take Citalopram.
I know you said he is on antidepressants but maybe he needs the prescription changed. Have you seen a doctor about this?

Joel-
Thanks for the reply! My husband also takes Citalapram. How long after diagnosis did you notice symptoms of emotional lability? It is so great to hear from another PALS about your experiences. I know that each person's ALS is different, but it is very helpful for me to know what other PALS are experiencing, too.
Stephie

Hi Stephie, it was about 3 years after diagnosis that Emotional Lability started to be a problem. It totally took me off guard. I was really not aware of the problem until my dear wife pointed it out to me in a flurry of tears. I felt so bad and that started our search for meds that would work. I thank God we were able to find something. Problem is gone.

Joel-
Thanks so much for your help! I didn't realize that it can take three years for PALS to experience emotional lability for the first time. You have give me hope that the right medication could help him.
Stephie

Everyone is so different it is hard to know what will happen, or when. I hope you can find some medication that will help. I know that over time some medication looses its effectiveness so maybe it is time to change. Hopefully different medication will be more effective. This is not fun for anybody.
I wish you success.

at first my father didnt want to talk about his problem
if i asked him wether he neede any thing he became angry
he is so proud, he didnt accept any help

but now he shares his feelings, and he knows that sometimes he really needs our help
and it doesnt make any trouble for us. we are much more happy now ,

maryam-
I'm glad your father is accepting your help. Are you taking care of him alone? I hope you have a lot of family around you. Is he on any medication for depression?
-Stephie

my mother and my only brother are with us too
no , he is not on any medication , but i am working on him to take some
he doesnt want to accept that he might get worse this way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back