Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
il
City
plainfield
sorry to waste anyones time, i am not diagnosed, and currently have no insurance, so i guess i am seeking advise or even better reassurance. 27 female. My symptoms began 4 years ago, headaches followed by some double vision (mostly things that were lit up like street lights and alarm clocks). Normal head ct, seemed like the vision problems went away with news of good ct results, but then came extreme anxiety and twitches and tremors. These lasted a many months, then i became pregnant with my third child and for the most part i didnt have any symptoms for years, other than when i paint my nails my pinkie fingers twitch, mostly my right hand but it can be both. So, i thought whatever it was that i could have had was gone. Now about two and a half months ago first came the stress of a move, and some financial stresses, then a migraine, followed by several less painful headaches and pressure in the head, then double vision. Another normal head ct. Next was the urinary frequency simultaneous with a deep pain in both of my thighs, like the bones were burning and in pain. Both of these symptoms subsided. Next was the anxiety, had three actual attacks but can feel it growing as i dont know what the root of my problem is. Then i had a patch on my face by my temple that felt a little numb or like something was stuck to it. Now i have the tremors and twitching. The twitching started in my legs but it can be anywhere, and everywhere...face neck, abdomen, butt, tongue. And thats when i learned about ALS...so the symptoms that have developed as maybe i read too much could be real or not, but i definately have some scallops on my tongue right behind where my eye teeth would be. My tongue is still very strong, i can move it fast and count teeth with it and no problems eating. I think i have always sounded a little lispy because i remember asking people to listen to me talk and see if they noticed it, but nobody every has, and still nobody notices, but i am paying alot of attention to it now. When i look at my tongue while it is at rest i notice a few twitches every few seconds. Everything i read says that if your tongue twitches then ASL is probable. I am scared out of my mind as i have three small children and i can't bear the thought of not being able to take care of them. Is it likely that i have als even though my symptoms include bladder, and vision problems, and i have had them for four years, and i am in my twenties.

NO! Don't go down that road right now. Twitches have many benign causes - even tongue twitches.

Most of the symptoms that have to be most bothersome - vision, headaches, deep pains - point away from ALS. I know it is a tough situation, especially no insurance, but try to let go of ALS for now.

From reading what you are experiencing I can definitely say it is NOT ALS. Seems to me that they could be stress related from what you have written. Try to relax and see what happens.

thanks, i would like to see if my symptoms will lessen or go away if i could forget about them, because i sometimes wonder if i am bringing them on myself. I would also like to add that i have no clinical weakness, i can work out and run up and down stairs. But the tongue thing bothers me the most. Do some people have scalloped tongues for other reasons, and is it normal for my tongue to twitch every few seconds while i am watching it? its not like the bag of worms that people describe, just a little jump in one spot. i know only a series of tests can give me the answers i need, but that will have to wait, hopefully i can get my stress to go away and the symptoms will follow.

My tongue is scalloped in many places and I do not have ALS, particularly bulbar symptoms.

And no, tongue twitching is not normal, but it is very common and most often benign. Best wishes - I know you are worried - but scratch ALS off the list OK?

Just wanted to reenforce what the others have been telling you. The tongue twitching myth is pervasive, but false.

My tongue twitches (single spot jumps every once in a while and odd sensations), I have teeth marks (most common cause of the what many people call a "scalloped" looking tongue), muscle burning etc... I also have a number of other symptoms. I just got back from a nice work up at the Mayo, and it's not ALS (and it was never really suspected by my neuros based on my symptoms).

Some very common causes of similiar symptoms that you might want to explore are unmanaged stress, and vitamin or mineral deficiency (often interelated).

Take care,

Robert

thanks for putting me at ease for now, i certainly think that its possible that some of my symptoms, not the primary ones but the ones that set in after i was already worried crazy about my health could definately be caused by stress. with the original neuro symptoms i would think more towards ms, but the twitching totally freaked me out and sent my mind on a downward spiral. now i may be paying a little too much attention to everything my body does and just percieving every day things as something worse. i know my tongue did not twitch first, so, i dont really see how als would spread from all over to my tongue in a matter of a week, without leaving some kind of weakness in the other parts that twitched first. i will try to relax, although i have never been any good at that. thank you everybody and God bless you all.

Teeth Clinching

When your at rest, not swallowing, your teeth should not be together, people who do clinch their teeth have scalloped marks on their tongue, most people clinch as a stress mechanism. Set a timer for 10 minutes and every time it goes off see if your teeth are clinched, this also causes facial muscles to twitch and causes head aces. Don't know if you are a chronic clincher but it would explain alot.

Renee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back