Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Logan Township
It all started 7 weeks ago. I had an eye twitch for a week, then it felt like my hands and feet were asleep. A few days after that, it felt as if someone threw water on my circuits. My whole body went crazy with muscle twiches. I had them on the top of my head, face, tongue, ribs, back, and especially in calves, feet and hands. Coupled with all of that was a muscle, joint, and tendon pain in different parts of my body at different times, always on both sides of my body. Pain was most intense on the bottoms of my feet and palms of hands. Once this twitching and pain started, I started with diahrrea. My GP tested me for vitamin/mineral deficiency and Lyme. All negative.

Now, 7 weeks later, the pain has pretty much stopped, but I continue to have twitches in my hands, feet, calves, torso, back and jaw. Diahrrea continues. Now feeling a little nauseous and having no appetite. My initial exam with the neuro was normal, reflexes fine. I've had no loss of strength. However, I do have a tremor in my left hand, which make that hand seem weaker. I'm constantly thinking I see atrophy in my thumb, but not sure.

One more detail. My nerves had seemed irritated about a week ago, during the height of this. For example, I smoked a cigarette and it seemed to tingle every single nerve in my body and even hurt in two places. Seemed very odd.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I am terrified that I have ALS. I have an EMG scheduled in two weeks and am so afraid of how it will turn out. I'm only 36 and have small children. Any insight would be appreciated.

Becky

Not a doctor for sure, but from what I understand pain and sudden onset all over the body would point away from ALS. Also atrophy in ALS comes after significant weakness. You probably never stared at your thumb in much detail before this. Its normal to have slight variations in size from one part of the body to another.

I would carry on to your neuro appt. and see what the EMG reveals. In the mean time try not to worry, as what you describe could be a number of different things. You may be experiencing a reaction to a virus or similiar. There are also a couple of conditions that cause benign cramping and muscle twitching. They are called benign, not because they don't have troubling symptoms (twitching, muscle soreness, pain), but because they won't kill you or cause permanent disability.

Best of luck,

Robert

Just to reassure you Robert said it very concisely! Many of your symptoms, especially the pain you describe, point AWAY from ALS. Take comfort in that - I know it is a difficult time but there are many benign causes of your symptoms.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I pray you are right. My EMG is in two weeks and I just might spontaneously combust before then.

Becky

Rebecca,

There once was a time when I studied under Dr. Google...and in that time I specifically remember reading about sudden onset of symptoms (such as yours) and nasty pain in the soles and palms. I thought that location of pain seemed so odd, I remember wondering what it would feel like to have pain in the soles of your feet. I don't remember what it was exactly...but something with the immune system. A response to a virus, something like that.

I agree with the previous posters, it is far too sudden of an appearance to point towards ALS despite the overlap in some of the symptoms. Your EMG will help ease your mind alot, I am sure, if you can make it until then without bursting into flames! :)

Lydia

Hey Lydia, maybe it was the bursting into flames or Dr. Google. Darned if I know.

AL.

Becky~

I started with pain in feet and hands and knee, and had the bowel thing. My twitching just erupted one day everywhere as well. That was over a year ago. They ruled out als for me, but still dont know. Thinking autoimmune. Hang in there. Maybe cleliac sprue? just a guess....

~april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back