00/0000
Country
UK
State
CL
City
Stockton-On-Tees
Hi all

As you all know i have had calf twitching for 5 months and a clean emg after 3 months but with a slow nerve test on my problem leg. The last 3 days have been hell, i have always had soreness in my calf since my twitching began but now when i walk my leg seizes up on me and its goes in cramp all the time as i am walking. I feel like i have to stop and stretch out my leg to make it go away. It also aches all the time i walk.

I am so so scared today that i do have ALS that its now ruining my life, i cant think of anything else, everytime i walk i get so scared that it will happen, for the past 2 months i have literally thought about every step i have took. I am scared to walk anywhere and i dont know what to do.

My next Neuro appointment is not until June and he has basically told me that i just have to get on with it. I hear so many stories about people getting clean EMG's but then getting a dirty one later on.

i have so many things running round my head right now, i have never been this low and scared. my leg feels stiff, is this spactity? why do i always go in cramp all the time?

when i was walking tonight and i felt the tightness and cramping, when i wiggles my toes while walking and i could feel it pulling up my calf.

I am really really sorry to put a post like this but i am on the verge of a break down because of this, its all i think about 24/7. Its my gorgeous wifes birthday today and i am sat crying in her arms...i am a wreck.

She seems to think that some of this could be down do anxiety and that i should talk to someone but the pain is real i feel sick with worry..

Not really sure what this post is asking but had to put my feelings down.

Thanks for reading

Chris

chris - I know it is tough but the only person that can calm you down is YOU.

Trust me, the anxiety is difficult because I have been there. Take it a day at a time, and an hour at a time if necessary. Look at your beautiful wife and celebrate her birthday. Make her feel special and make yourself feel special.

I have had muscle issues for years, literally. I guess I have gotten somewhat numb to it, but it still is progressing with something.

The only way I can do it is with God's blessing and being thankful for every moment with my wonderful wife and son. AND, my feet still hit the ground every morning and I'm on the correct side of the grass!

Hang tough bud!

Chris ... your wife is right. Fear, anxiety and obsession are your big problems right now, not a cramp in your leg. What you are going through psychologically is completely out of proportion to any physical issues you have (which do not sound like ALS, by the way, as I think you've been told).

Of course, the pain and cramp are 'real.' The fact that they may be caused/intensified by your emotional state doesn't make them any less real than if they had been caused by you falling down a flight of stairs. Pain is pain, no matter what the cause.

Surely this is not how you want to live your life ... terrified and obsessed with a disease you don't have symptoms of. IMO you need counseling now ... something is going on with you psychologically/emotionally that you need to deal with, and it sounds as if it's taken over your life. You're clearly a sane and intelligent guy, and I'm sure you can lick this problem if you face it squarely. If I were in your state I'd be doing ANYTHING I could to feel good again. Including talking to an MD or a shrink or a pastor ... Please get help.

Good luck.

thanks for your replies....i was so sure that my stifness is a form of spcitiy when i walk.....it feels so rigid...is this not a symptom? and your right i do need to do something about this

No Chris that is not a symptom you'd have with ALS. Other things maybe but not ALS.

AL.

Hi Chris~

Are you taking anything for anxeity? I just feel for you so much right now. I was in the same spot as you in the spring. I was upset and would cry all day or to my husband. I finally knew that I had to go on some kind of medication, I had NEVER needed anything before. I was the happiest most optimistic person around, but this got a grip around me that I could not get out of. Granted my situation is a little different becauase I had a baby and think some of it was hormones. Anyway, it has helped me alot. I have also leared to live in a constant state of being thankfull for everyday that I can get around even when my sx are bad or getting worse. My sx continue but I dont let the fear intrude on me anymore. (well, I do get worried and upset). I live in the moment with my family and that is a blessing, I use to take every day for granted and get caught up in the stress of life. Idont do it anymore.

hang in there! I think what helped me was making a CHOICE that nothing (disease) or no one could ever change who I am or my personilty. What if you do have this? (not saying you do) what are you going to do? I told myself that if I did have this that i would love everyday and enjoy it and be me! so if I dont have this, at least I lived good through the waiting period. ANd like anything, it takes time. also I would freak out thinking of the future and my kids, ya know..what if this or what if that. I have stopped borrowing tomorrows worries for today and live day to day.

you are in my thoughts!

ps. my sister gets horrible cramps when she moves or walks. she has had this for a year. she has NO neuro muscular diagnosed. she even gets them in her back if she moves a certain way on the couch.

april

Chris, you have become completely irrational . . . so much so . . . that there is very little anyone of us can do for you. You have to get the help you need, because your biggest issues are those in your head and not your leg.

We have told you time and time again that your symptoms are not consistent with ALS and more importantly, you have been told by a reputable neuro. I'm not sure what else you need?

Please do yourself and those in your life a big favor: go talk to someone and get on some meds until you learn to accept you don't have ALS. Just think of it as a band-aid until you get better mentally.

I wish you the best.

Chris,
Please listen to the folks on this forum, get some help-SOON please. It doesn't sound anything at all like ALS and like wright said already, your neuro told you it wasn't.

So...with that all said...call your gp, go to an outpatient clinic, public health dept, somewhere and talk to someone about your anxiety issues.

Take good care,
-b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back