00/0000
Country
UK
State
CL
City
Stockton-On-Tees
Hi all

Just going back to that topic the other day where someone put a link to a survey about how slow nerves / pain etc can be associated with ALS. I know Wright said he has read all the case studies on this and then im afraid he lost me.

Is there evidence to suggest that pain (sensory) can be a symptom of ALS?

Reason i am worried is that when i went for my EMG the first part where they do speeds my right leg (where i have most of twitching and all of pain) was slow. I understand i have been seeing by a good Neuro but i always had the comfort in the back of my head that my pain and slow nerve pointed away from ALS.

I have pain all the time when i walk, its like sore / crampy. the other day i went for a run for the first time in a long while to try and get over this and it was ok but on the night i went in bad cramp....could this be a sign that my muslces are getting weaker?

Sorry for bringing this up again, i read that survey and it has freaked me out and i am not sure what Wright was trying to say after it (he is right i can not interpratate this kinda stuff)

Chris

Hey, Chris ... I can add input on one thing. You say you went for a run after not doing so for "a long while" and had a cramp later. That was always my experience back in the day (way before ALS) when I missed exercising for a few weeks. For sure, a cramp that night or a charley horse the next day. I think it's normal.

Hi all

Just going back to that topic the other day where someone put a link to a survey about how slow nerves / pain etc can be associated with ALS. I know Wright said he has read all the case studies on this and then im afraid he lost me.

Is there evidence to suggest that pain (sensory) can be a symptom of ALS?

Reason i am worried is that when i went for my EMG the first part where they do speeds my right leg (where i have most of twitching and all of pain) was slow. I understand i have been seeing by a good Neuro but i always had the comfort in the back of my head that my pain and slow nerve pointed away from ALS.

I have pain all the time when i walk, its like sore / crampy. the other day i went for a run for the first time in a long while to try and get over this and it was ok but on the night i went in bad cramp....could this be a sign that my muslces are getting weaker?

Sorry for bringing this up again, i read that survey and it has freaked me out and i am not sure what Wright was trying to say after it (he is right i can not interpratate this kinda stuff)

Chris

Chris,

It is very similar with my symptoms. I have twitches and vague pains. The twitches are not constants (just sometimes and they last seconds or just a "pop").

I have been twitching for almost 4 years - more noticed in the first year and in the last 2 months, where I can also feel vague pains...mainly in my legs and arms. They come and go, it is worrying me a lot.

I do not have cramps, but certainly it is also common in BFS.

All the best for you,

GGKK

Hi Chris~

I would try not to worry about slow nerve and it pointing toward als. They are looking for abnormalties on the emg. I have the same thing with my left calf and foot going on but I have thinning all around my ankle with twitching. I had an emg/ncv on it last may that was clean, I go for anther this month so we will see. I *think* and not sure, but a slowin of nerve or block could be somethng like cidp? or mild nueropthy?

hang in there and the longer yo do with out any progessing sx then that is a good thing!

april

I don't want to speak too much for Wright, and he may yet chime in. I think the greater message he was trying to convey was that reading medical abstracts, as opposed to the whole article, without medical training is how a lot of misinformation gets spread (Apparently skimming an article with medical training, and then relaying cursory information to a patient is almost, if not more, damning).

Don't throw your peace of mind out the window over what has been shown to be an erroneous assumption.

Take care,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back