CALS
Country
US
State
new york
City
new york
Hello,
I am taking care of an individual with ALS and he complains of water in his lungs. He already uses a suction machine but apparently this water is deep in his lungs which suctioning cannot get out. The doctors said they can do a procedure to get it out, but since they would have to put him under some type of anesthesia, the risks may out weigh the benefits. My ALS friend says that he also gets shivers throughout the night which he believes is due to water in his lungs.

Basically my question is are there any alternative ways that we can get this water out? Anyone who has been in this situation and can offer input will really be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi PALS welcome. I'm no doctor but it seems to me that with water in his lungs that would decrease capacity to absorb O2 and where did the water come from and if more comes in he could literally drown. Not sure if that could happen but I'd be looking for a Pulmonologist that specializes in ALS cases. Sometimes if you get a doc with limited experience in these things you can be in real trouble.
AL.

Hi PALS,

I would try a Couph Assist machine.

Mike

Gail had water in the lungs... we thought it was just the progression of ALS... shortness of breath ect.. Turned out it was due to blood clots in the legs breaking free and going to the lungs. Inactivity makes clots. Now she takes Warfarin daily - no more clots and no more water in the lungs. They took out close to 1.5 Litres.

Tim

How do you know a person has water in their lungs? Does it show up in an x-ray? Or can you hear it? Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back