Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ENG
State
England
City
London
Hi everyone my name is Clarke, I'm really sorry to bother you all I just have a quick question that hopefully somebody could help me with. I've literally had a constant non stop twitch in my left quad for nearly 13 months now, in the last 5 months the same muscle also becomes hard and stiff. I seen my doctor 2 days ago and he has referred me to a nuerologist because he found clonus in my left foot. I have also noticed the clonus becomes a lot worse when I exercise. I still have not noticed any weakness though. Do you guys think I should be worried about als with these symptoms? Thank you so much for reading this and I'm really sorry for bothering you all.

You posted here nearly a year ago with the same symptoms. It still does not present like ALS. Follow-up with your doc and neuro, let them direct the diagnostic process, but you still do not have any reason to be on this site.
Best Wishes,
Tracy

Hi everyone my name is Clarke, I'm really sorry to bother you all I just have a quick question that hopefully somebody could help me with. I've literally had a constant non stop twitch in my left quad for nearly 13 months now, in the last 5 months the same muscle also becomes hard and stiff. I seen my doctor 2 days ago and he has referred me to a nuerologist because he found clonus in my left foot. I have also noticed the clonus becomes a lot worse when I exercise. I still have not noticed any weakness though. Do you guys think I should be worried about als with these symptoms? Thank you so much for reading this and I'm really sorry for bothering you all.
Who suggested that it could be ALS? Did you do research, and compare your symptoms and take the idea to your doctor or did your doctor bring it up with you? It sounds like your doctor has done the right thing about referring you to a neurologist.
It was explained to me like this. They don't call it ALS until they rule out everything else it could be. ALS Mimics is the word my doctor used. So just keep in mind that ALS is like "worst care scenario".

I hope this helps.
Jan :):)

Hi Tracey and Jan, thank you both for replying. It was me that suggested als to my doctor and I did research and compare my symptoms it's just worrying because I've had the same spot twitch for so long and now clonus has showed up in the same leg. It's very hard not to think worst case scenario :( bit thank you very much for your replies they really have helped.

I have to wait 6 months for an emg its driving me crazy

hi everyone

Hi everyone! Sorry for posting again it's just I have my emg in 6 months and going crazy with the wait. My doctor referred me to a nuerologist because of the sustained clonus in my left ankle I've also had constant non stop fasciculations in my left thigh for well over a year and the muscle also tightens up. My reflexes are also brisk in my left leg, but the thing is I still have no weakness. My question is do you guys think I should be worried about als with what's going on? Thanks guys sorry for the bother.

Re: hi everyone

Stay in one thread. And NO you do not have any symptoms that point to ALS. Follow through with your doc.
Tracy

Mod note- moved to a single thread. Please stay on one thread for consistency.

seen the neurologist today

Hey everyone i seen the neurologist today and he is 99% sure i have a neurological condition. He told me yesterday i have babinski and sustained clonus in left foot, hyperreflexia left knee and fasciculations in the left leg. The thing is he found no weakness whatsoever. He told me it could be als amongst other things. Ive had the fasciculations for atleast a year and clonus for about 4 months so surely if it was als id have weakness by now, i asked him about this and he told me weakness dont happen until the muscle has lost atleat 50% of its connection with the nerves. What do you guys think could it be als? Could it take this long for als to progress? I am having an emg in two weeks and the neurologist is expecting it to be abnormal. Thank you for reading my post.

Mod note- moved to already existing thread for continuity.

Hi, Clarke, your EMG will tell the tale but with the amount of time you mention with only movement/stiffness and no weakness, UMND (upper motor neuron dominant disease) is more likely if MND is an issue at all. Whatever you have, the slow progression and symptoms limited to the left lower extremities is reassuring. Don't borrow trouble, just let us know what the report is in 2 weeks.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie thank you so much for posting to me it means alot, i thought it could be an upper motor neuron problem but my neurologist has said the fasciculations are a lower motor neuron sign. Anyway what evers going on ill keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back