Reason
Other
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
Yes, I've had two EMG's (one full body, and one single fiber on neck.) and yes I've seen 3 neuro's that have told me it isn't ALS; However, My symptoms continue to persist. I feel like I'm all alone in my head. I am NOT making these symptoms up. I am starting to get a buzzing/throbbing/crawling sensation on my face, legs, nose, cheeks and I can feel it on my tongue as well. It's a different feeling from the muscle twitching (Which still is happening often.) When I got the EMG, I did not get my tongue, or face tested. My fear is that the EMG's were done to early, or not in the right locations. At this point, I'm just looking for possible answers, and a friendly point in the right direction. I know you all aren't doctors, but I'm willing to beat you've seen more people how have similar systems to mine, and know what it turned out to be. Its been 5 months since my symptoms started. Surely by now I'd have more serious problems?

I really have no one else to turn. My own doctor won't take me seriously. They all just chalk it up to anxiety, which isn't professional.

I hate to disagree with you, but maybe your GP is right? Anxiety can cause what you mention. It's his 'professional opinion' I guess.

Look, I'm no expert, but the EMG showed nothing, great news. You'd get things on the EMG before symptoms would show externally, you know?

Also, you've had EMGs. WHY would you want them done to your face and tongue when you really don't need to ???

Maybe find a new GP, medication for anxiety, but to me, you're good to go. Seriously.

Thank you, Janelle for not shunning me. I don't want to be on this forum no more then people don't want me here. So, the buzzing/crawling/throbbing isn't a new thing to be concerned with?

Nope. None of those can be taken as ALS symptoms.
I wish you all the best in finding answers.

What is your diagnosis? That's the problem you should be fixing.

I don't have a diagnosis. The doctors think my symptoms are anxiety, but I know they are real. And the more I feel my forearm clinching up, or tongue jumping, or weakness feeling..etc, the more anxious I become. I honestly, don't know what to do.

A diagnosis of anxiety doesn't mean the symptoms aren't real. We all believe you are having issues, but they are not related to ALS. My husband is bulbar-onset and he has never had any crawling or buzzing sensations anywhere, just a tongue that doesn't work. If three neuros and 2 EMG's haven't seen any evidence of ALS, then you are cleared. Lucky you. Time to pursue other avenues.

Tracy

I won't waste anymore of you all's precious time. Thank you for answering my many concerns.

Every time I seem to put ALS behind me, something newnew starts happening. My left thumb is starting to fatigue quickly after doing things I've done everyday for years. It hurts, and its starting to twitch in this area. (Palm side up, I believe its called the Thunar muscle.) This has to be ALS. What else cause fatigue muscles and twitching. Its really freaking my out. The EMG wasn't tested in this area of my thumb. It was on the back side. Does this seem concerning?

The list of things that cause fatigue and twitching would fill a book.

And many of them would be much more likely than ALS.

additionally, ALS doesn't 'feel' weak. It just is. I feel no different than i have for decades but i can no longer walk.

Buzzing/throbbing/crawling has nothing to do with ALS as ALS is a disease of the motor neurons, not sensory neurons.

The EMG test doesn't have to specifically 'touch' your thumb to test the nerves running to it.

Let them treat your anxiety. You don't need to be here adding to your worries.

No, not in the context of your other reports.
No one thinks you are making symptoms up. But they are not signs of ALS, so you don't belong here.
I see in Nashville that Vanderbilt has an integrative medicine center that offers classes and consultations on topics such as stress reduction. That might be a resource to consider.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back