Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Milton
I have read the stickies before posting here and they relieved some of my anxiety but I still have some concerns. First, I am a 20 year old male (I know there's a one in a million chance I could get ALS but I'm still concerned) and about a month ago I began experiencing body wide twitching which never really subsided.
Since then, however, I have noticed that the twitching is now mostly confined to my right leg (especially the upper part) which appears to be smaller than my left leg. Additionally, a few weeks ago my right knee began feeling quite weak and I was finding it more difficult to do things like stand on one leg or just stand naturally with my knee in a relaxed position. I did hit it on something a few weeks ago but I figured the injury would heal by now.

I went to a doctor at my host university yesterday, told him how I was feeling, and he ordered a blood test to see if electrolyte imbalances were responsible for the twitches while also providing me with anti anxiety pills and muscle relaxers to take before bed. He wasn't familiar with ALS and was dismissive of the ideas that my legs not being symmetrical and my right knee feeling weak were indicative of something serious.

So, with all that in mind, I have a few questions. First, do these symptoms mean anything? I assume it's unlikely but I just want a second opinion. Second, should I look into having an EMG to see if the twitches and knee weakness are something? I really appreciate your input and I hope I am not being a burden by posting this.

To be honest, I'm an exchange student studying in Singapore and I'm terrified I won't make it home healthy. Thank you very much.

Doesn't sound anything like ALS. Make sure you cut out the caffeine, take your meds as doctor ordered, and get someone to look at the knee if it isn't better in a few weeks. It sounds like it's mostly stress.

KimT, thank you for your quick reply. I'll do my best. However, I also noticed that my right arm feels weaker than my left and that one of my forearm muscles is smaller when flexed than the corresponding one on my left arm. It also appears to twitch after physical activity. Should I worry about this? I pose this question to the community as a whole and I'm grateful someone would actually take the time to reply to me.

I don't see any reason to suspect ALS in your post.

No one should offer an opinion on the size of a muscle over the Internet. You should have a doctor look at that if you're concerned.

Twitching is a symptom of...lots of conditions, and it also occurs in healthy people.

People twitch. It's an amusing little thing we do.

Rise up on your toes. Then, walk on your heels backward and then forward. Squat. If you actually cannot do one of these things, discuss it with your doctor.

Kim is totally right.

Thank you all! I won't annoy you anymore and will save any further questions for medical professionals. I'm just grateful you all were willing to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back