Other
Country
US
State
New York
City
Brooklyn
Hi everyone.

I've read this forum for a long time before registering and I'm very inspired by the closeness of the community. You people are all incredible.

Obviously I was hoping never to have to post something to this particular forum but I've been having difficulties which are really starting to scare me so I was hoping some of you folks could give me your opinions.

I'm 35 years old and about two months ago I woke up with soreness and fatigue in both arms which has not gone away. I haven't noticed any weakness in the sense that I'm not struggling to do anything that I used to be able to do. That said, even the simplest tasks like putting a plate of food into the microwave causes some soreness and in many cases a slight strain to my shoulders, biceps and forearms.
Around that same time I also started feeling fascics all over my shoulders, arms and sometimes my legs.
Occasionally my knees and lower legs tingle as well, especially in bed in the morning or after walking around for a while.
Then about 2 weeks ago I started getting a cramping feeling in the palm of my right hand near the thumb. I say "cramping feeling" as opposed to "cramp" because the mobility of my hand and thumb are no different than before. In the last few days the same feeling seems to be developing in my left hand as well.

My GP examined me a few days ago and said that he does not think it's neurological but is sending me for further tests. The appt. with the neurologist is not for another week.

Do these symptoms sound like ALS to anyone? I know a hallmark of ALS is weakness (which at least for the moment I don't seem to have) but the constant fascics are worrisome and the soreness and strains from even the simplest of tasks is even more concerning.

Did anyone out there experience soreness and strains (and eventually a cramping pain) but no noticeable weakness for 2 months?

If anyone out there can give any input I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

No ALS. You describe a lot of sensory problems.

For instance, new onset ALS does not present with "soreness and fatigue in both arms."
In ALS a motor nerve in the brain get destroyed, so it can't send the "go" signal to your arm muscle, so that muscle doesn't move, doesn't contract. It just lays there limp and useless, paralyzed. There is no feeling of weakness, no feeling of soreness, no any kind of feeling at all. The muscle just doesn't move.

As for fasciculations/twitching: This is so common in many conditions that it is not diagnostic of ALS.

Go to your appointments, but don't worry about ALS.

Hi Atsugi.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I really appreciate it. My biggest concern really was that the soreness and fatigue was because some muscles weren't working and others were working harder to make up for it, making those muscles more tired. I take it from your reply that you do not think that is the case?

I do plan to go to the appointments. I'll update then.

Thanks again.

No ALS. You describe a lot of sensory problems.

...snip...

Go to your appointments, but don't worry about ALS.

I'm pretty sure Mike was very clear and I support everything he said in his reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back