Other
Country
Ca
State
Qc
City
Mintreal
Hi there,

Debated for a while about posting, but would really like to have some advice.

About 5 months ago, i had an incident of swallowing problem, a small piece of food fell into my throat, i had a moment of feeling i can not swallow and can not breath, then it happened again another 2 times during the same week. After that I became so anxious, then all of a sudden i feel my throat is tightening, although the same problem did not happen again, i felt everything is hard to swallow:( and 2 months ago I stated to have this on and off numb and buring sensation on my tongue, which is driving me crazy, of course, after reading about als, i found myself constantly worrying about choking and slurring :(

I went to the doctor multiple times, we did blood test, barium swallow, then later basic neurological exam, everything seems to be fine, my doctor thinks it's anxiety, (postpartum, i have a 6 month old baby), i know a lot of these symptoms are from anxiety, but it is so hard to believe that anxiety can cause these problems, and when the swallowing problem happened 5 months ago, i was not that anxious... Im confused..

Does the swallowing issue and buring numb tongue sounds like als or other neurological problem or it's anxiety?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would believe your doctor for sure.

The kind of swallowing problem you describe is very different from what is described by people with ALS.

Numb or burning tongue is totally not anything I've ever heard in ALS.

I can't diagnose what it might be as I'm not a doctor, but I know ALS fairly well and nothing you've written sounds like ALS at all.

Please go and enjoy your baby. They grow way too fast.

Trust your doctor.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back