Other
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
City
Yukon
Dear All-

I appreciate the insight and information of everyone on this sight, and I am interested to get your thoughts on my situation. Also, a big thank you to Atsugi for his original insight, just wanting to follow up with everyone. Sorry for the long post...

In November of 2014 I woke in the night with numbness and tingling over my entire body. The tingling and numbness continued until January (although I know now that this is not a symptom of ALS). I saw a neurologist in December and had a clean neurological exam along with a clean EMG of my right side. I had a follow up in January and passed the physical exam again, but did not have another EMG. Also, I had clean blood work (other than B-12) and a clean brain MRI. Additionally, I started taking B-12, as my B-12 level was 212.

I know that a clean EMG points away from ALS, however, it was after the second neuro exam that my twitching began. I have since had twitching all over since the end of January. However, it is now fairly consistent in my right eye and right forearm, although it still occurs in other places. I have noticed muscular changes to my body, especially in my hands, which definitely have atrophy. Also, my right buttock and calf are much smaller than my left, and my right side is my dominant side. I have continued to workout and have not lost any strength (again, I know this points away from ALS), but do feel that my muscles are not responding like they used to. I have noticed that I am no longer building muscle.

Lastly, I do have some sensory issues (again, knowing these point away from ALS), such as intermittent tingling, burning sensations, and shocking pain that gives me a chills feeling.

Could my EMG have been done too early? Do you feel it would be a good idea for me to see another neuro? Sorry for the long message, your thoughts are much appreciated!

No, your EMG was not done too early and twitching you describe is not diagnostic of anything.

Atrophy, however, is serious. But my experience is that most people can't self-diagnose atrophy. Do you have measurements comparing right and left and this year to six months and a year ago. (Hard to do in hand muscles, I know.) I would see my PCP if I had serious belief of atrophy. (In fact, I did.)

Thank you for your reply, Dusty. No, unfortunately I do not have measurements, but I am an avid weightlifter/runner and have noticed the changes. I agree that it is hard to self-diagnose, and I have an appointment with my PCP next week for an annual physical and I will discuss with him.

See your doctor as scheduled, Bronco. But don't worry about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back