Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
UT
City
taylorsville
I just inherited an Ipad set up to type in words or sentences, and it speaks. It came from his daughter who is friends with my son and wife. The Ipad was used by a fellow ALS victim who passed away recently.
It is to late for any voice banking for me, my speech was bad at the time of my diagnosis. The only memory I have of my voice is on my cellphone voicemail, I heard it a few weeks back when I called my number to find the dam thing. I'm not gunna lie, tears came to my eyes when I heard it.
The Ipad can't generate enough volume to be heard by anyone not sitting right next to me. So I am wondering what you guys use to bring the volume up? I know there are speakers that plug into the Ipad, but don't know which kind to get that would work and not be in the way.
If you guys have any ideas for this technotard......please do share?
Thanks

I also use an iPad to communicate. It's not perfect, but it works if you aren't in a noisy place or have 4 people or less in the room.some people are very respectful of my needs and some just talk over the top of me. Sometimes the conversation has totally changed before I can chime in. I'm late to the game a lot. Some people still assume you're an imbecile since you use a SGD. Still better than nothing. I like to have fun, change the voice, and cuss! That gets people's attention!
My voice started going early on in this journey...Probably one of the worst things about the whole thing. It's so frustrating, but what can you do? The good thing is that I don't stick my foot in my mouth anymore. I used to say a lot of not so nice and negative things. I now try to only "say" positive things. It has made a huge difference in my attitude!
Again, it's not the best but it works as long as your fingers hold out!

I also use an iPad to communicate. It's not perfect, but it works if you aren't in a noisy place or have 4 people or less in the room.some people are very respectful of my needs and some just talk over the top of me. Sometimes the conversation has totally changed before I can chime in. I'm late to the game a lot. Some people still assume you're an imbecile since you use a SGD. Still better than nothing. I like to have fun, change the voice, and cuss! That gets people's attention!
My voice started going early on in this journey...Probably one of the worst things about the whole thing. It's so frustrating, but what can you do? The good thing is that I don't stick my foot in my mouth anymore. I used to say a lot of not so nice and negative things. I now try to only "say" positive things. It has made a huge difference in my attitude!
Again, it's not the best but it works as long as your fingers hold out!

Thanks RooRoo....I had to chuckle at your comments about cussing, when I first got the Ipad I spent about an hour loading with filth and profanities...I just haven't been able to use them until I get this speaker thing figured out. MY GREETING IS ...."Hi, my name is Mark...How the fu(k are you". I honestly can't wait to use that and many others on my motorcycle club members. They have almost completely quit asking me questions and shooting the breeze, because they can't understand what I am saying.
My fingers still work pretty good, especially my middle fingers!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Best Buy, target, staples should all have a bluetooth external speaker. We have one the size of a baseball and works very well.

newegg dot com has some good deals

Thanks RooRoo....I had to chuckle at your comments about cussing, when I first got the Ipad I spent about an hour loading with filth and profanities...I just haven't been able to use them until I get this speaker thing figured out. MY GREETING IS ...."Hi, my name is Mark...How the fu(k are you". I honestly can't wait to use that and many others on my motorcycle club members. They have almost completely quit asking me questions and shooting the breeze, because they can't understand what I am saying.
My fingers still work pretty good, especially my middle fingers!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

dang i wish my middle finger still work...... jane finger works just find lol

My middle finger goes the wrong way now. I'd get some crazy looks if I tried using that sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back