Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago with PLS and have fallen several times. Thankfully I have not been seriously hurt. In the past 3 weeks I've fallen twice. Once when letting go of my walker for a minute to hug a little girl goodbye. As I bent over, I started to lose my balance so grabbed a chair from the kitchen table. Well, the chair tipped over along with me. The little girl was fine but it sure scared her. Then a week after that, I let go of my walker again and stepped sideways to reach for something on the counter. My foot just stuck to the floor and down to the hardwood floor on my side I went. Both falls resulted in bruises.

To top it off, I've been seeing a physical therapist to help with some right hip pain I've been having. My PCP is pretty sure it is bursitis and ended up giving me a steroid shot. The shot was given right on the bruise on my hip from the most recent fall. The shot helped a lot! Now my PT is working with me on balance issues. Please be careful when you are stepping sideways, backwards and when turning. It takes just a quick second to totally lose control. Those of you who have fallen know how you get the slow motion, "Oh no, I'm gonna fall" thought and next thing you're down. No time for recovery with PLS!

One more thing...for those of you with dry mouth from medication, I just started using XyliMelts at night when it is the worse. They work so well! They slowly melt in your mouth and adhere to your molars. I have extreme dry mouth from my Baclofen pump meds. I've tried the dry mouth toothpaste and mouthwash, but with very little relief.

Take care my friends.
LouLou

>In the past 3 weeks I've fallen twice.

yeah, me too 4 falls in four weeks.

remember the rules:
------
#1 don't fall
#2 don't hang around sick people, at 1st sign of respiratory issue go to doc
#3 conserve energy, rest, never push it, try to relax
#4 stay warm
#5 take vitamins

ALS is about living, not dying!

LouLou, I here ya on the falling stuff. I can't even take one step without hanging on to something or I'm kissin' the floor. I only wish mine were in slow motion; when I go down it's fast and hard. I also get cotton mouth. Thanks for the tip on the xyli-stuff.... I'm gonna try it! TB

Louise,
My biggest fear is falling, really have to watch things with my left leg. It stiff, feels like I have a peg leg, on top of that if I step on anything uneven my ankle will roll. Your right on taking slow, it is the only way. Glad to you didn't hurt yourself worse, please be careful and thanks for the tip the dry mouth, my pump cause my very bad dry mouth at night.

Mike

>yeah, me too 4 falls in four weeks

and again last night ... thank goodness for 911!

>yeah, me too 4 falls in four weeks

and again last night ... thank goodness for 911!

Hey Max....... I have an idea, we should wear helmets, knee and elbow pads during the day. We know we are gunna fall-so why not be prepared for it:)

>I have an idea, we should wear helmets, knee and elbow pads during the day. We know we are gunna fall-so why not be prepared for it

full body armor! need a cherry picker too :)

>I have an idea, we should wear helmets, knee and elbow pads during the day. We know we are gunna fall-so why not be prepared for it

full body armor! need a cherry picker too :)

I would require a fork lift because of my very voluptuous a$$>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:shock:

We could all dress like hockey goalies.

I was thinking maybe those fake samurai wrestler costumes ... ?

The fake samurai wrestler costumes works to, could be more fun

Do you mean the fake SUMO wrestlers .....you could be dropped out of a helicopter and survive in one of those get ups.......

Do you mean the fake SUMO wrestlers .....you could be dropped out of a helicopter and survive in one of those get ups.......

Better to bounce than break!

But please be careful guys/gals!

Max, didn't you write it as rule #1, yet you are falling A LOT now?

A blow up suit would do the job including a head wrap :)

Oh you people are too much! :) I want to get a Michelin Man costume. A blow up suit would come in handy too. You could inflate it to certain levels depending on the type of day you're having! But really folks, be careful.

LouLou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back