Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago
So i experienced some mild symptoms back in December and i dismissed them as anxiety. Now i am experiencing the following:

- Thighs and calves are getting smaller, and my skinny jeans become regular fit jeans.
- Lost some muscle in forearms and biceps.
- Legs are heavy to walk with and i walk with a limp.
- Decreased dexterity in hands and also decreased grip strength.
- Sore throat and whenever i swallow it feels like only some of the muscles that are supposed to work are actually working. No problem drinking or eating.
- Muscle pain all over my body, even headaches.
- Twitching all over my body.

1. I had a clean EMG about a couple of weeks ago, does this rule out ALS? Is it possible for EMG to miss it?
2. I am aware that initial symptoms of ALS include weakness, what i am wondering is; my limbs are definitely getting weaker but not weak enough to be classified as clinical weakness upon examination. Is it possible to have ALS without having clinical weakness for a period of time while having the aforementioned symptoms?

Thanks

Oh yeah, i almost forgot. I have tremor in my fingers whenever i flex my hands

Honey, as a 17 year old, you should have enough reading comprehension to have read the sticky many times over and then read our original replies to you again.

You have never had ALS symptoms and you won't convince us you do, just like you did not convince any doctors. This is great news, we wish we could have had the same results.

The EMG picks up ALS in nerves to muscles before there is anything you notice, so if you were 6 months into this disease it would have shown up clearly, even back in December last year.

Please, join a health anxiety forum if you can't control your fears, they are truly so much more able to help you, and you do need help. I'm afraid we can only try to cope with helping those with ALS here.

All the best.

INTERSTELLAR: I've read all your posts and found no symptoms whatsoever of ALS. I know you may think they are symptoms of ALS, but they're not.

As to your thighs and calves getting smaller: You might think this is atrophy, but in ALS atrophy occurs after a muscle has been paralyzed (limp and useless) for weeks or months. If you had ALS, you would be paralyzed and unable to walk, long before your skinny jeans fit.

You say you're losing function in both your hands and feet. But ALS doesn't strike in all four quadrants at once. ALS destroys one nerve at a time, either in the feet (or hands), and works upward (or downward).

Sore throats and muslce pain and headaches have absolutely nothing to do with ALS.

Twitches happen to everybody. They are so common they are not diagnostic of anything.

Yes, a clean EMG rules out ALS.

No, it is not possible to have ALS without having clinical weakness for a period of time while having the aforementioned symptoms.

You don't have ALS and you aren't going to get ALS, either. The odds are on your side.

One last thing. It takes a lot of effort for paralyzed and terminally ill people (and their incredibly busy caregivers) to read, consider and answer questions here. Please be kind and move along.

By the way, you have an anxiety problem, plain and simple. See the doc.

Thank you for your answers and i apologize for asking this again. I heed your advice concerning my anxiety and i shall see a psychiatrist about it.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back