Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary today. Instead of a card I wrote down all my memories of our life together and made that her card.
We went to the place we got married and they let us tour the grounds- the places we exchanged vows, the place we danced, the area where the reception was held. Boy did that bring back memories.
There is a very beautiful flower here called the bluebonnet that is only in bloom for a few weeks this time of year if the winter conditions were right and this year they were perfect, just like they were the year we got married. Took a lot of pictures my wife can keep and remember when I'm gone.
I think this will be my last anniversary- going downhill fast now, but I couldn't have asked for a better companion.

Neil, I just read your post to my husband. We met 10 years ago this month...and will be married 6 years this coming August. He said that your words say what is on his heart. Thank you for being so open and vulnerable about your feelings of your ALS journey. I too have undergone a lot of changes these past 2 months. You're in my prayers and thoughts!

bless both of you juneau-Ill keep you in my thoughts too.

Dear Neil, what a beautiful anniversary gift! She will cherish it forever, guaranteed! Friday would have been our 55th anniversary- and I was SO sure he would have been here to celebrate with me! It warmed my heart to hear how sweet your day was. Memories can't be taken away, dear man. Hugs to you both on your special day. Donna

A lovely tribute to your wife and your 20 years together. An anniversary touched by sadness, but also by the joyful memories of long ago as you returned to the place you took your vows. Your wife will cherish your anniversary card for as long as she lives.
- Charlene

Congratulations for both the anniversary and the day.
Vincent

I miss the bluebonnets (and Indian paintbrushes) in Texas. I'm glad you two got back to your wedding venue, Neil.

Oh Neil, what a gift for you both on your anniversary. To spend your day together in that setting must have been so wonderful, no matter the shadow of ALS, you were able to focus on what is important and cherish those memories and then the photos have added to those memories yet again.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us now, it has warmed my heart and I've had a cry but am smiling broadly for you both.

What a wonderful post. Happy Anniversary and congratulations. My parents were looking forward to their 50th in two years. Since life is more uncertain now than ever, we decided to have a big 48th next Saturday to celebrate life, their love and make new memories. I know that none of us know how much time we have but each day seems more fragile than the next. I feel like every moment needs to be celebrated at this point.

Congratulations

What an absolutely beautiful post congratulations on 20 years. My husband and I will be married five years April 24. This is the man I hope to grow old with, but that's not going to be the case. As my mother used to say, you want to make God laugh, make plans.

What a beautiful thing to do by writing a card with all your memories on it. She will treasure it always. Congratulations on 20 years of marriage. Being married takes alot of hard work. But, to have the love that you two share is a very precious gift. Just take it one day at a time Neil and know how much your wife loves you. That in itself should help give you the strength to get through this journey. Hugs, Kim

That you were able to do.something like this for your wife shows the depth of your love for her. She is a lucky woman!

Oh Neil, how sweet. that was the best anniversary gift you could give her! hugs

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and thoughts. I wish I could meet you, I have a feeling despite our different upbringings, and cultures we share perhaps the most important bond of all- understanding and experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back