Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Why Is Everyone in Your Facebook Feed Dousing Themselves in Ice Water?

The idea of using buckets of ice water as a platform for ALS awareness came from former Boston College baseball player Pete Frates, who was diagnosed with the disease in 2012. Together with fellow ALS patient Pat Quinn, who inspired the charity Quinn For The Win, the pair began to challenge their social networks to take the plunge in late July. Pat's brother Dan posted a video on the charity's Facebook page in support of the challenge.

Our niece, Allison, is a student at the University of Virginia. She just posted an online FaceBook ALS challenge to 3 of her friends before dousing herself with a bucket of ice water. My wife and PALS was in tears it touched her so much. It has been so encouraging to see the wonderful expansion of awareness this process has brought about...

Jim

tonight at dinner my kids said they wanted to do it. I think we are going to on Friday afternoon...I will have to post it here for you guys to see if we do!

The Ice Water Challenge for ALS is taking off on Facebook! Just tonight I saw no less than 7 posts, including my own daughter and husband. Even the likes of Matt Lauer on the Today Show, Amy Grant, Luke Bryant, Lady Antebellum, all the Kennedy's at Martha's Vineyard have taken part, to mention a few. The news says ALS donations are coming in like crazy!

I just made a donation to pay for my bother and son who did the challenge. All it said was Purpose: Support for ALS
Reference: #IceBucketChallenge Contributor: Sandy Coleman
Does ALS forums realice it should go to asla and not als.org

As of Sunday, August 24, The ALS Association has received $70.2 million in donations compared to $2.5 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 24). These donations have come from existing donors and 1.3 million new donors to The Association.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back