Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
Hi all. Sorry in advance for the lengthy question. I never thought I would come online for something like this, but I feel I am in need of some advice and help. I am 24 year old female and about 95 pounds overweight.

I am currently taking Diamox (500 mg twice a day) that has been going on for seven weeks, Propanolol (10mg twice a day) that has been taken for two months approx. and just recently I went back on Cilitopram (10mg once a day and this is my 5th or 6th day).

I should also mention between some of these days, I was trying a lot of different strength tests, and I have been pretty sedentary these last few months.

June 12th - Forearm started to feel weird and a few twitches maybe at that time, fingers felt weird/stiff and it hurt to move around the right arm.

July 7- Decided to see neurologist, to make sure that arm pain wasn't due to having a lot of IV's done and blood work done on that one arm. He said I was fine and no ALS. No EMG was done.

July 17- Started to feel odd feeling in right foot. Felt strained and hard to walk on. I had been to the gym once prior to that happening (elliptical for about 30 minutes on low setting, but pain frightened me since I had never felt that before).

July 22- The pain then kind of moved more to my left foot. Noticed then that left middle toe seemed a little curved to the left. I also felt I was seeing atrophy in that foot/heel, which one neuro said she didn't see at all. I feel pain on inner arch sometimes when first getting up in the morning and putting foot down or when walking a lot. Also, started to have buzzing/twitching on bottom of foot nonstop, sometimes will move big toe, (neuro didn't seem too concerned). Middle toes on left foot also felt numb sometimes and felt like pins and needles.

July 25 - I went to see neuro again, he has worked with ALS patients during his internship and again assured me I was ok. He did reflex test on arms and legs, strength test, in 2 minutes he said I didn't have it. He did mention that Celexa and Diamox could mess with calcium levels (not the one that GP tests for, how my body metabolates it). I had never heard of such a thing. He made a deal with me that he would let me do an EMG after giving the anxiety medication a try. He wanted to see if it calmed me down.

July 31 - I was anxious about what I was feeling still. I was having muscle twitches all over my left leg at this point and at the bottom and top of my foot non-stop. Also having a lot of muscle aches in my left hamstring and I was having tightness in the back of my left calf (which I have experienced for two weeks now). I told the new neuro who was taking the place of my original one (who was on vacation). She said she didn't see any foot atrophy, she tested my arms and legs, tested my facial reactions, neck strength, tongue movement, fingers to nose and said it was all great, even though I feel my left leg is weaker than the right one and just more awkward to walk on. Also gets tired more quickly when going up the stairs and walking around.

Aug 1 - Saw neuro again. I saw fasciculation in my left thigh muscle above my knee that morning. It lasted on and off for like 5-10 minutes at rest. By the time I saw the neuro, it was gone, but constantly feel the twitching/muscle pain still at the bottom of left foot and in my leg/calf and very rarely on my right back, left arm, right arm. Not as much as the left leg though. She then said I should probably get the EMG done since I am basically stressing out way too much. (It was more of a request from me, then her thinking I need it).

Aug 3- Went to the ER because when trying to sleep, I felt my body was freaking out and even my arm and leg felt like it was jerking, I was having spasms/twitches even in my meaty parts of thumbs, back, neck, arms, legs (even though left one still more than right) even head at one point I felt. The melatonine I take..wasn't really helping. I can feel a lot of this, but I don't always see it. I also felt like my neck since then has been very tight/tense and uncomfortable. Has blood tested. Electrolytes, calcium and potassium were good.

I was notified that my Vitamin D level was low though.

I have been feeling twitching also on face like around the side of my nose on and off. The left leg still feels more weak/muscle fatigue/ tense then the right, but I can still walk fine, just feels weaker and more awkward. My hands and arms twitch/cramp rarely, it's more in the left leg, but all body parts still work and function. The neuros keep saying it's just stress and I have heard from two neuros I don't have it, even without the EMG.

I would love to just take their advice and move on, but been struggling to do so.

I will get my EMG in tomorrow, but I still feel very scared of the outcome. Just want some advice if available. Thank you for your time.

If you not done so, read the stickies. All is revealed in the stickies.

_if_ that does not answer your questions then come back here and ask.

Ya really should have waited until you've had your emg, that's a key test.

Dear Lauren,

RE: Anxiety or ALS

Do you want us to vote?

I vote Anxiety. not one thing in this post says als. I can't believe you have been to a neuro two times in the last month. I guess it doesn't matter what we say, since you will not listen to a trained, highly educated professional.

I suggest you go to your Primary care doc for a complete physical, and then take the money you spend at the neuro and hire a personal trainer for 3 days a week, and see a therapist once a week. stick with this for one full year. no excuses. get off of forums for truly sick people, quit goo gling symptoms, and give yourself a chance to truly change your life for the better. you are 24 years old! for pete's sake! live your damn life!

Lauren, thanks including lots of details. You don't have ALS.
All the symptoms you describe have nothing to do with ALS.
You described lots of different weird feelings, which is good. ALS patients don't "feel" weird, sick, or cramped at all. With ALS, you would feel perfectly healthy, but you wouldn't be able to lift a foot or perhaps a hand. It doesn't feel tired or weak, it just is limp and won't move.
Lots of people think of twitches and atrophy leads to ALS, but it doesn't work that way. In ALS, the twitches and atrophy occur AFTER the muscle has become paralyzed, limp and useless.
Anxiety is treatable. It takes awhile to get the medications just right. Good luck.

I vote anxiety!

Why does everyone want to have one of the worst diseases in existence? I just don't understand.

so far it's unanimous for anxiety ...

can I still vote?

This is an automated response:

#1 - Read the **** STICKIES **** all is revealed there. 99.9% of your questions will be answered in the stickies.

#2 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your PCP and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND experienced!

#3 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for ALS people who often type w/ 1 finger or their eyes, etc., so replying to anxiety-ridden hypo's is a pita.

enough said?

of course you can vote Max, that was only the count so far ... ;)

>of course you can vote Max, that was only the count so far ...

ok, hotkey update:

This is an automated response:

#1 - Read the **** STICKIES **** all is revealed there. 99.9% of your questions will be answered in the stickies.

#2 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your PCP and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND experienced!

#3 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for ALS people who often type w/ 1 finger or their eyes, etc., so replying to anxiety-ridden hypo's is a pita.

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

enough said?

Anxiety.

As asked by Nebrhahe: "Why does everyone want to have one of the worst diseases in existence? I just don't understand."
I agree. Wanting to have a fatal disease is a sign of illness.

Thank you for your input/advice.

Lauren1989... are you a BOT?

>Lauren1989... are you a BOT?

:) Hal ...

Maybe it's why ALSTDI makes you read a text and type it out before you can post a reply.

Hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back