Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
My GP wants me to have a procedure that requires anesthesia. I've seen statements that say that is not a good idea for someone with PLS. I'll try to reach my neurologist but I though perhaps someone here could help.

I have had anesthesia at least 4 times since the onset of pls. Never have had any problems at all.

I have the same question. I have cataracts in both eyes--not too bad yet, but I might eventually have to have them removed.

I suppose that PALS that get the PEG-tube inserted need to undergo anesthesia. Right?

NH

My grandfather had both a trach and a feeding tube put in during the later stages of his PLS. Anesthesia didn't cause him any problems, and that was over 20 years ago.

If your breathing is not compromised you should be Ok

I have a surgery since I was diagnosed. The worst part was the surgeon, the anesthesia never bothered me. :!:

Thanks everyone! I'm scheduled for Friday and am no longer concerned.

As Momap53 pointed out, the respiratory function must NOT be compromised on a PALS (FVC< 50%) if you necessarily have to undergo anesthesia.

NH

I have very low bp and have to be watched carefully after any sedation/anesthesia as i can become very hypotensive and they have trouble waking me up.

yes, i fractured my wrist in two places when i fell. i had surgery with general anesthesia. i am ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back