Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Cleveland
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I hope that my concerns are mostly in my head.

Here is my story:

In February of this year I noticed my tongue was very stiff and was twitching alot. I got very nervous about this and thought it might be an allergic reaction. I quit drinking gatorade (which I had been drinking a ton of) and the symptoms went away completely.

Approximately 3-4 weeks later the tightness in my tongue returned. Soon after I started have twitches all over my body. I have no difficulty speaking or have noticed any loss in strength but I am understandably concerned. I have an appointment with a neurologist on Friday. My only hope is that due to my age (23) it is unlikely that I am experiencing ALS.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Brian,

it's not impossible, but at 23.....your chances are better, getting struck by lightnening with a winning lottery ticket in your pocket....

Request an emg done, to include your tongue.

If the symptoms stopped after stopping the gatoraide, then you likely don't have a winning lottery ticket, becuase, nothing stops ALS symptoms, they only get worse.

good luck and write your questions down for the neurologist.

Rgds,

Jamie

Yes, you have to do EMG of your tongue, Ive had and my EMG was abnormal-full of sharp waves.Im only 26, but still have no DX.By the way Jamiet did they finally gave you a DX?

Additional symptoms noticed today

Sorry to keep bugging everyone, but today I noticed I had difficulty walking to school. I have had extreme soreness in my legs and the twitches continue. My legs were also quite tired when I got there (about 300-400 yards away from where I live) and I actually decided to go home instead of getting work done.

I am really getting concerned now.

Bryan

Not to go off topic here; but instead of creating another thread, I was wondering if its weakness followed by twitching or can it happen vice versa.
Yesterday my GP pushed the neuro to take me in sometime next week instead of in May.
Still praying for the best...

Shibby said:
Sorry to keep bugging everyone, but today I noticed I had difficulty walking to school. I have had extreme soreness in my legs and the twitches continue. My legs were also quite tired when I got there (about 300-400 yards away from where I live) and I actually decided to go home instead of getting work done.

I am really getting concerned now.

Bryan

Hi Shibby,

I'd recommend doing some research on Autoimmune, Metabolic, and Muscular Dystrophy disorders. I added some links below but you may just want to search for them on Google or Yahoo on your own.

Autoimmune disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000712.htm

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/adrenoleukodystrophy/adrenoleukodystrophy.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shibby. First of all why did you get an appointment with a neurologist so quickly? Did your GP find something so catastrophic to get you in that quick? Most people on here wait months for appointments. While niceguy provides some good sites for information I would bet that by Friday you will have picked up at least 5 new symptoms if you read what is available. While ignorance is bliss and you really need to know what is going on IF you have an MND I'd stay away from the websites until after Friday. You'll freak yourself out and give yourself more symptoms than you have or need. I've seen it lots of times before. Trust me.
AL.

First to Niceguy, thanks for all the links. I've already been symptom/disease searching.

As to Al the truth of the matter is I am a medical student in the U.S. therefore it's very much in my nature to seek attention as soon as possible. Additionally I haven't attended class for the past 2 days due to symptoms and that is a HUGE gap to catch up. My original appointment was for April 2 but I had it moved up so as to get treatment as quickly as possible so I can attend classes. Your advice is sound however and I am working hard not to get too invested in my symptomology.

Hi Shibby. Don't know if it's significant but you're the second medical student we've had here within the last couple of months with symptoms. Not sure what that might mean but it is coincidental. AL.

Al,

Just out of curiosity do you remember who it was? I'd like to talk to them.

Thanks,
Bryan

Hi,

I read a site on Benign Fasciculation Syndrome that said the majority of sufferers work in the medical profession. Considering I have spent 15 years working as a medic and in the hospital I found that very interesting! I don't know what the link is here, but Al's post reminded me of that and I just thought as a med student you would find this interesting. Leslie

Shibby, AL is right about research.

Also, since your a med studend also, that's another good point in the bucket. I would say about 100% certainty, you don't have MND or ALS.....One your 23, two your a med student...go to aboutbfs.com...you'll see all the med students...

To magnus......it can go either way...this is really, no code of events for ALS, everyone is different. AL didn't have weakness for two years, chad bowman, strated with weakness...etc etc...i started with twitches...you'll find a different story on everyone.

To Anna...no diagnosed ......only...telling me...that i don't have ALS, but there is a neruological problem and that it takes time for neuro problems to show their face....? Puzzled now right..... me too....i guess, it will take for the rest of my tongue, left arm and calf muscles to disappear before they get concerned....

good luck to all..

Rgd,s

Jamie

Yes Bryan, that was the site I was referring to in my post above, aboutbfs.com. It says that the majority of people inflicted with benign fasciculation syndrome work within the medical profession. Check it out and maybe you will worry less! Good luck and let us know how you make out. Leslie

Thanks all for your reassurances.

My symptoms continue but I may be able to get an appointment today. I'll let you all know how it goes. Also, I have nothing best wishes for your health as well. I must say this experience has led me to really consider practicing neurology (it's funny since we just started neuroscience/behavioral block when my symptoms set in) should my symptoms turn out to be benign. It is truly an outrage that in this day we still have diseases that we can barely do anything for.

Bryan

Bryan,

Would you by coincidence, have happened to study, ALS in your class or neurological symptoms related to the tongue?

The mind is a powerful tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back