Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
OR
City
Scio
I have a problem with hyperflexia of the right knee as well as foot drop. At my last appointment with the PT, she had me try a ready-made, carbon fiber AFO, but it did not have a hinge at the ankle which restricted movement and made it much harder to get up from a sitting position. She then brought out a hard plastic model with a hinge in the back about a 1/2 inch above the heel. This style, although too large, seemed to work much better. An orthotist (if that's the term) was present and made a fiberglass cast of my feet and legs up to the knee. He was going to make a custom-fitted AFOs based on these casts which were to be ready in about a week.

Considerably more than a week passed, and I did not hear anything about the AFOs. We called and learned that the person who made the casts was no longer with the company. The vibes indicated he had been let go, although I don't know that for a fact. I contacted the PT to ask if there was someone else with the company she works closely with, as the person we talked with said I need to come in and be recast. I have not heard from her.

I'm a little uneasy about this situation and have the following questions:

1. I've read posts that indicate some people do not like the hard plastic AFOs. If anyone has tried both custom AFOs and ready-made, carbon fiber, which have worked better?

2. Do AFOs stop the knee from bending back?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Thanks, Brooksea. Sounds really interesting. (How I ended up posting in this section, I don't know--wasn't watching something)

My insurance wouldn't pay for anything but the hard plastic AFO's. I have the ones with the hinge. Pros: No more foot drop or ankles turning sideways. Cons: They are hard, heavy, HOT and hideous. My knees still do their own thing.

Thank you, Cathy.

I have a custom made hard plastic AFO. My ALS Doc didn't want me to have the ready made carbon fiber ones as they do not stabilize the ankle and 'hold it in place'. I wear a knee sock on the leg with the AFO so the hard plastic doesn't stick to my leg when it's hot. Mine isn't that bad to wear. I wear it everyday. My knee has stopped hurting but I'm not clear on the 'knee bending back' part of your question. My AFO does end below the knee so I guess my knee can still do 'as it pleases'. But now that my foot drop is 'fixed' by the AFO my knee does not 'overcompensate' any longer.

Thanks, mich5. Your advice makes me a little more comfortable about trying the hard plastic model. I think if my ankle didn't turn in and my foot didn't point to the inside when I walk, the knee problem would resolve itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back