Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
I have some shortness of breath with exertion, talking too much, etc. My fvc is 77%. My cough is weaker. A few days ago I noticed when I wear my tlso that my breathing felt much better, less shortness of breath. I guess it is because of the abdomenal muscles. If this is so, I have a nice lyra support undergarment I could wear when not in the brace which is only for when I sit and is very uncomfortable so it can be worn for a limited time.

Can anyone think of why this is not a good idea or what damage could possible happen, if any?

My trunk is weak, parts of my lower back are atrophied.

BTW I also had a TRAM flap reconsrtuction in 97 after a mastectomy. This is where the moved a large muscle from my lower abdomen and tunnelrd it up to create a busom. I wonder how that is effecting the area as well. Since it is abd muscle, when I got fasics in the lower abd I also twitched in the reconstructed busom. I had to be vigilent about what I wore.

Oh my! F's in the breasts! What a sight that must have been.
Don't know what a tlso is, please let me know. I have some of the same issues with SOB. I'll be interested to hear what the others have to say about the lycra support.
What abdominal muscles? My "budda belly" just seems to grow and grow.

Mom53 I think we were cloned. TLSO is a hard shell like brace I wear to stablize my lower back. It is very snug and my back stays straight. My doc thinks I fractured some vertebrae when I flopped backwards sitting on my bed the equivalent of doing a back bend. When I wear it, the support must be acting like the muscles I used to have. cough seems a bit better with it also. It is to keep me from bending the area I injured.

I got that buddah belly too. what a shock. I am trying to find something to wear that makes me look not thinner, but less like I need to be ironed and feel comfortable. Nothing looks good in the chair. I did see a nice long cape sleeved bloussan type shirt that looked comfortable. It may be the answer. I have a big event to attend and I don't want to look too ill. I do not want to be the topic of conversation.

Jb.....a month ago I decided to start wearing muumuus...can I tell you they have come a long way with this style of clothing! I order mine from National...they are beautiful and classy...you can dress up or dress down...you have so may choices from National, even shirts!

Judy

momap53 and Jb.....let me know what you guys figure out...I too have a weak trunk and a budda belly!

Judy

Thanks JA, we'll have to check it out the muumuus.
I hate the way I look! I stay in some type of yoga pants for the most part. Black pallazo style pants with elastic waist for going out. Fortunately I don't go out much. Yoga pants are black or navy and blend in with the PWC cushion. Had to go up in size with tops and make sure they're cut larger across the hips to accompany the belly and other rolls. I found a couple of peasant type tops that work well because they have more fabric and a heavy lace near the face to draw the eye up. Talbots offered up a nice silky, knit shirt with some gathers at the scoop neckline in bright jewel tones and black. 3/4 sleeves are more comfortable for me these days. A marled brown and cream knit poncho (hippie style) worked well for winter in the chair. Wish I could wear the thing year round.
So many good clothes unworn in the closet, Sigh...I hold onto some thinking that I'll be able to wear them whenever the enevitable weight loss comes.

Deb.....we are not going to loose weight...we are going to get well because a cure will be found for ALS...don't ever forget this! Also the TREAT US NOW thing will come through soon...I believe this with all my heart and soul!

Hugs,
Judy

JA, I'll need to lose some cause I packed on 30 pounds in a little over a year! Those one and 3 mile walks with Snoop Dog were my primary form of exercise besides heavy duty gardening, and the foot drop slowly closed that avenue off. Once I learned that eating might one day be taken away I went overboard for a few months trying new things and restaurants. I hope your'e right about the break throughs.

I think muumuus and peasant blouses are a great idea. I wear yoga pants, but most of my clothes are taylored so no good anymore. A friend suggested a cape for winter.

Deb- closet full of clothes with tags, but I have started to donate them to women I know who have very little.

I am waiting on my pwc so sling back w/c makes me look overly hunched over.

I am a believer that G-d makes all things posssible, in Matthew it says he does it in his time which only he knows.

Janet

jb63...I too am a believer that GOD makes all things possible! It is my stong faith and sheer determination that lets me know I will beat ALLS! Every day I command ALS to leave my body and thank God for doing this and healing me!

Deb...I know what you mean about walking with our pooch...I used to walk a mile a day!

Judy

Re: breathing easier with abdominal support

No idea if they have anything like this over there but it may be worth you asking

NICE hopes to help people with motor neurone disease breathe more easily

Some people with MND need to use mechanical ventilation to support their breathing - these systems are known as non-invasive ventilation and they involve air being sucked in, filtered and pumped into the lungs via a nasal mask, oronasal mask or mouthpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back