Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
McKeesport
I just got diagnosed though I'm pissed at docs who drug this out in time between appts - asap is 7 weeks! They damn well better get on the ball now getting me in to their ALS clinic. I am going to look at UPMC clinic as well & inquire as to their drug trial

I've been doing some exercises - stretching & thera bands. Any good advice on what to do and not to do. Lost a lot of function strength range right fingers, hand, wrist, shoulder, and drop foot right. Left hand is going somewhat. Should I continue thera bands if I don't strain?

Anything you can point me to? How much walking? I try walking laps of our office halls.

Like I said I'm pissed at these neuros they didn't already have me in to see therapists. My first emg showed signs of als end of May & I had lost a lot of right hand function. Do they tell the patient? NO!

I know how you feel, every time we called for an appointment they'd say oh, we're booking for 2 months from now. My husband has drop foot in both feet, and his balance is bad, but he goes all day long. He has hand weights and my arm weights he uses all the time, don't know if it helps but his strength is pretty good, slightly less than before. We just found out this week that he really has ALS for sure. It mainly effects his speech and gait, he's going to start using a walking stick.
Good luck,we'll both need it huh? Bella

Make sure you deal with pt and ot that are with or have knowledge of ALS. Well meaning therapists can do more harm than good if they dont know about the desease. I do only range of motion exercise but was fairly strong to start with. Anything other than that was taking gas out of the tank so to speak. Good luck to you.
I just remembered your into marshal arts so your range of motion is probly pretty good. Just keep all your joints moving and functioning for now till you can get in and get advice.

Range of motion exercises are the best and just do what you can. Your body will tell you soon enough what you can and can not do and then you can kind of gauge the amount of exercise you do on your current energy.

For example, If I am going to go out to an activity on a certain day...lets say wed. I make sure that Tue. and Thur. are slow and quiet days for my body to prepare, and recuperate. You are no good to yourself and others if you are so fatigued from trying to do everything...including exercise! Like I said your body will adjust. I used to dance 4-6 hours 6 days a week. I am now down to 45 min. twice a week of approx. mile walk instead. :)

My husband has done range of motion exercises consistently for the last few years. I believe it has helped in terms of pain, not that he has none but it has been bearable without constant pain meds. He also does two exercises for his hands. Get two plastic containers (about 4 quart size I think, but you can determine what size is good for you) fill one with rice and place a bunch small objects in there, paper clips, coins etc. and pick each one out of the rice. Manipulating your hand and grabbing small objects is suppose to help the small muscles in the hand stay loose. The other container put two large sponges in and fill with water, squeeze the water out of each several times. Hope this helps.

Make sure you deal with pt and ot that are with or have knowledge of ALS. Well meaning therapists can do more harm than good if they dont know about the desease. I do only range of motion exercise but was fairly strong to start with. Anything other than that was taking gas out of the tank so to speak. Good luck to you.
I just remembered your into marshal arts so your range of motion is probly pretty good. Just keep all your joints moving and functioning for now till you can get in and get advice.

At ALS clinic yesterday the PT gave me some exercises and suggested I go to PT. I hope they are knowledgeable about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back