Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
in the
City
somewhere
Recently I was looking over some of my drs. notes and came across some numbers I don't understand. If anyone knows what these mean, please let me know! Under the motor section: there was some giveway quality to strength testing but felt to be bilaterally. Under Reflexes: 2/4 for bilateral biceps, triceps, brachioradialis and ankle jerks; not easily elicited at the knees secondary to muscle contraction. Bilaterally downgoing toes (actually my big and little toes point up while the 3 middle toes are contracted down). (And I love the section that says she denies tobacco or alcohol use)! I don't smoke and can't stand the taste of beer (I would rather go to the ocean and take a sip of ocean water and liquor mixed drinks always tasted like cough syrup to me. I always told my parents you would never have to worry about me drinking because I couldn't get it past my tongue. Maybe the alcohol denial is bc I have 6 kids and that might cause some people to drink: I would have had more if I could. Anyway if you understand the numbers, please let me know. Thanks for your help!
Kimberly

Jeez.. no idea. I'm sorry.

What did your Dr say about them?

He hasn't discussed anything with me other than right now I have Paramyotonia Congenita with a possiblity of UMND. I'm seeing him tomorrow; but I am really concerned because I'm the one who got mad at him; asked for a copy of my test results and left! After I got to the van is when I started reading and I had someone elses records with mine. I contacted her and the hospital to let them know but practically begged them not to say anything until after tomorrow's appt. but on Fri received a phone call from them asking about the med records. Geez, and after I asked the hospital not to say anything. My concern was if her records were in mine where could some of mine be especially after the residents came in asking why I stopped the EMG and I hadn't. So tomorrow may be a waste of time. So after tomorrow I will call the GP and ask for an appt for Hopkins since my family lives about 30 min away. If you want a fun read, read my ER visit from last week. I think it was under "Do they really want me to answer this survey"! Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate it!
Kimberly

Reflex numbers describe levels of briskness - at 0, you'd have no reflexive reaction, if I understand it correctly. I think 1 is weak, 2 is normal, 3 is slightly brisk, 4 is brisk, and 5 is clonus. (But beware, I'm operating from memory.)

Hey Becky,
Long time no hear! So what number do you shoot for 2/5?; well most of mine are 5/5 under motor: So is this good or poor and due to the spasticity in the arms and legs. But the reflexes were for 2/4; so that is a different scale. And your memory is better than mine any day!
Kimberly

Hi Kimberly. Not much help on the 2/4. Havnt ever seen it written that way, only like beky said a 0-5.
Give way weakness is not clinical weakness. It just means that the person gave up resisting. Bilateral down going toes means you have a negative babinski. Some Drs wrire it that way. Its not referring to how your toes sit in a relaxed position.

About wonky notes.....in my hospital notes I have apparently been in a car vs train accident and suffered severe facial injuries. Maybe thats why I am ugly ? I also apparently have diabetes and have had a cholycystectomy. Must have been in my sleep. LOL.

Aly

Well of course I gave up resisting. The dr. was pushing on me (LOL). Let someone push on you and see how fast you give up. Oops I'm talking to a fellow MDer. Well according to my ins. co. I had a baby three years ago, as well as 32 ambulance rides, 32 ER visits all starting on my birthday (Oct 7) through the end of that year. Now she is undergoing mental health treatments. I just want my baby.
Kimberly

I gave way after the Dr hanging off my arm. It was then insinuated that I was "putting it on". Never said or to this day say. I have arm weakness. He was a twit Grrrrrrr. Dont ya just love these drs Kimberly. I want My gall bladder back as well. Not sure how they got it out with out leaving a scar and me not knowing, Oh well the Drs think they are pretty clever Ha Ha.

I realize that the people on this forum are more highly intelligent than most of the drs. I have seen. I had my gall bladder removed many years ago and was in the hospital for 6 days. Most people have out patient oh no not me. Was th 1st time I was ever away from my kids! and it had to be in the hospital. And then when they removed the drainage tube I thought it was like an inch or two - oh no again it was like 3 or 4 feet long. I think you would have remembered that and me having a baby at 47. If I had I think I would have to have mental health counseling or a quick draw on the gun. In my prayers, always, Kimberly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back