Loved one DX
Country
JP
State
Tokyo
City
Tokyo
Hello,

Long time no see ... or talk. It is likely that I will be involved with rustling up funds for a few middle to big ticket items ... items that we cannot manage ourselves. From ramps to bathroom remodeling to a van .. the list is growing.

Does anyone here have any tips on the where and how to grants and other charitable resources?

Of course I have read here to start with the local ALS centers, but as I am in Japan I will be looking to throw the net a little wider and explore as many possibilities as I can.

Wow ... this is my third edit to this post ... yes, I'm looking for a short cut ... a pearl of knowledge out there ... an ace up someones sleeve. We need the bathroom remodeling yesterday! The ramps we might be able to handle, or build.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul, I guess a lot depends on the location. Where is the home that needs modifying? There is always Stu at ALS Guardian Angels but you probably want to check with the local ALS association first.

yes, Stu is great. Helped us out without really verifying anything. Trust is so nice sometimes int he world we live in today.

Thanks ... that's what I need, a place to start. BTW, we are in Portland OR ...

new: Great website (ALSGA), got a bit of an energy rush ... thanks!

Last edited:
Paul, often handicap vans can be rented for, I assume, the day. We should have just done that, rather than bother with the expense of buying a van. If your sister is content with being at home, and needs to go out only for the dentist or doctor's visits (Clinic visits), it might make more sense to check out renting. I guess I'd first contact the ALSA office which covers Portland and ask if they know of a place. Another way to learn is from a wheelchair dealer.

Ann

ALS Guardian Angles gave us $800 for ramps! We're having a great day! Thanks for the tip, Barry, and thank you ALS Guardian Angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back