To vent, or not to vent- that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizT

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
Im assuming that Joel is the only one on here that is on a vent.
Im just wondering how everyone feels on that subject.
Do you plan on going for it, or not?

At this time, my husband says no.

Joel is not the only one. My husband will probably do it, as he is only 45 yrs old, and also is a Veteran, so cost is not an issue. If he was totally locked in when the time came, he would probably say no.

Not planning on it. All I have is my folks, and sister. I will not put the responsibility of pulling my plug on them.

Still on the fence.

My Mom is nearing her 78th birthday and she says no to vent. Also says no to feeding tube. We (my Dad and brothers) say whatever you want. I totally understand where she is coming from. It's a personal decision.

I'm on the fence too. Depends on what's still working at the time.

AL.

I am so in the minority, sometimes listening to everyone say "No" makes me question if I made the right decision. I get tired of people attacking me for my decision.

I am so in the minority, sometimes listening to everyone say "No" makes me question if I made the right decision. I get tired of people attacking me for my decision.

It is so wrong for anybody to question your decision! Everybody has different circumstances. Some have kids they want to be here for. Some want to be with loved ones as long as possible. Some want to buy time for a cure. I hope I am wrong, but I have my doubts about a cure being ready in the time I have left. They could discover a cure tomorrow, and it could still be too late for some of us. It takes them so stinking long to make it available to us! Thats something that pisses me off!

Are ya happy Joel? When you go to sleep at night, do you feel as if the day was a waste? Has today or the day before this one brought Joy to you or your wife?

From reading your homepage alone, I can say, you made the right decision for "you" and "your family" and that is all that counts!

Keep on fighting! Keep on living!

Joel, if it's right for you, then who cares what anybody else says? We don't live your life. It's enough for me to live my own life and decide these godawful decisions. I don't want to even guess what motivates other people.
a vent mkes no sense for me. My daughter has abandoned her own life to move here and take care of me. Neither she nor I want to make it permanent! Hospice was here just today talking about palliative sedation. That's what I'm banking on.
You go right on with your life and be happy.

Carol

Never will but I make my own decisions along with my wife. I am 56 and enough is enough when my lungs are done. I just don't want some one telling me what quality of life means. Every person on this site would have a differant

I do plan to vent. For me, Joel has been an inspiration and example that extended survival is possible.

Well said Hal! My husband was against a feeding tube, and through Joel's wise words and advice I was able to assure him it would be OK. He still hates it,but glad that he got it done and over with!

I am not planning on it. Although it would depend what all was still working. My lung strength seems to be deteriorating faster then anything else at this point. They ordered me a BiPap to help preserve my lung strength. It is definitely a very individual decision.

Joel do not allow anyone else to judge you. Only you can decide what is right for you. As long as you and your wife are happy that is all that matters. You seem happy and do serve as an inspiration to others!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back