Diagnosis
02/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Pagosa Springs
I have mentioned about how fast I am progressing with my left hand and arm...now that I can't raise up my arm high,when I do with the help of my right arm..my shoulder hurts real bad.. Is this typical ? I am wondering ? Should I keep trying to move my arm up high even though it hurts? To keep the range of motion? Any suggestions? Help! Linda:roll:

Yes, it will hurt but it is a good idea to keep the range of motion as normal as possible. Persevere.

Thanks Joel, I didn't want to do something I shouldn't.. I have been wondering about pain in other cals arms and shoulders I thought maybe this would be one symptom i would be so blesses not to get? So, wondering? Is this what happens with the muscle loss in each limb? Wow it is pretty painful...Linda

Linda, my symptoms first started with weakness in my left arm and I could raise it using my right arm, but not on its own. Sounds like what you described. It just hung at my side most of the day and I thought I looked a bit like a stroke patient when I caught a glimpse of the arm swinging when I walked by a mirror or window and caught a reflexion. I began developing shoulder pain about 6-months ago - mainly in the evening and during the night. I mentioned it when I went to the ALS clinic and was told the weight of my arm dangling at my side was causing my shoulder to dislocate from the socket. It was suggested I wear a sling to remove stress and continue with the range of motion exercises I was doing. It has helped tremendously. You might want to mention it to the doc. Shoulder dislocation is mighty painful and you can do a lot of damage if not treated right. Good luck. :) Diane

Eric's physical therapist tapes his shoulder joint, which helps his pain a little. Taping acts like the muscles that would be holding the joint and keeping his shoulder from sagging/pulling the shoulder joint. They also showed me how to give his stretching on the days that he does not have PT. It really seems to help him keep from getting too stiff.

Take care.

Linda, I have same issue with my right upper arm and shoulder area an as I am a side sleeper it is very uncomfortable and means that I can really only sleep laying on my left side. The PT at my clinic said to just do some range of motion exercises to keep it from getting too bad, of course me being me I have not been doing it. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks all so much...this is better than going to the doc? Isn't it? I will email dr. R today and see if I can get a script for a pt here in pagosa..I don't know as of right now what exercises to do. You are the best! Many hugs, Linda

Les has a torn rotator cuff, that was treated with steroid injections. He had two, and the pain has subsided. We believe the torn cuff was caused by him still working when he had ALS. HUGS Lori

We just went to the physical therapist at the ALS clinic, and she explained that once the shoulder totally dislocates, that's pretty much it. She told my husband never to life his arms higher than his shoulders (over his head) but to keep up those range of motion exercises. The sling is a great idea. Not sure if we just missed her saying it, but it's right in line with what she was talking about.

Hi Handinhand, My wife has stiff and painful shoulders and arms. Our Neuro seys she should do more range of motion to keep everything from 'freezing up". We have begun to work on it.

Linda, my husband has stiffness and pain in all of his joints. I am sure lack of motion has a lot to do with that...maybe ALS, maybe authritis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back