Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
South Dakota
City
Custer
Today was a beautiful spring day and my partner and I went for a drive in the Hills. On our way home he got a terrible pain in his right temple, eyes began to weep and he started driving off the edge of the road. He said things were looking wavy and he felt funny. I asked if he wanted me to drive and he said he could get us home (and he did). He got me in the house and then took some aspirin and laid down while I napped.

He slept but I didn't..... I worried he was having a stroke and what would I do if I had to care for him. Oh Gawd, I can barely take care of myself - how would I take care of him too.

Fortunately tonight he seems fine but there is still concern on my part - I feel so embarassed and selfish thinking of me and so guilty that I can't be there to care for him if he needs me. Darn I hate this loss of movement and fear of the unknown.

Diane

Diane, Get him to go to the doctor - for both of you. You don't need to be worried that he can't take care of you, and he doesn't either. We had a similar scare a few months ago. I am the caregiver - officially now. My husband was diagnosed with ALS today. Well a few months ago, my OBGYN thought that I had all of they symptoms of uterine cancer. It turned out that I did not, but while we were waiting for the biopsy, my husband started to get very scared, and so did I. That was before we knew what was wrong with him. There is no reason to be embarassed or feel selfish. Of course you are scared! I went and had a complete physical - including the dermatologist! We needed the peace of mind. Sounds like you do, too. Take care. Missy

Diane, please convince him to go to the hospital to check this out. It could be a stroke and you wont know until he is checked. My father has had a few and it is hard to know what is happening until it happens. Perhaps it is high blood pressure, but that can also be a precurser to problems that you both should be aware of. Often there isnt a warning, and if you get a warning, please act on it.
And dont feel bad or selfish... you need him.

Diane! That has to be scary! I always say, when in doubt, pop at least an asprin just in case. Better to get him to the doctor hun. I wouldn't wait either. No messing around with that. You have been a widow for a while, and now this wonderful guy comes into your life, and he comes at a time when you really really need him. He is a blessing. To be on the safe side, you drive too, okay! Let us know what happened.
Hugs, Kari

Oh yes, Hi Missy, (that's kinda funny for me, its what I call my daughter when she is in trouble!) Welcome to our forum, and I am so very sorry for your husbands diagnosis. This is a very shocking time. I call it "the walking zombie time" . It can all be very overwhelming. We are a great group of people here, and once you are here a while, it will be like family. If you have any questions, or just need to vent we are here for you anytime!
Hugs, Kari

Diane, how is he this morning?! Of course you are frightened and it is only natural to feel what you did and do. Please send a update! Missy, such wise words and good heart advice. hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back