Friend was DX
Country
Uni
State
IL
City
CHICAGO
Hello all,

I'm new here to the forum. I came because my boyfriend's father has been having a lot of trouble lately. I'm not sure what exactly he has been diagnosed with but he definitely has dementia. I've known him for about 3 years now and he often calls me by another name and has confusion about what events happened throughout his life history. He has recently been known to move objects through out his home including beds, dressers, tvs and other furniture on a daily basis. The biggest problem we have is he keeps playing with the electricity in the house and the wiring that goes with it. He brings up the fact that he was an electrical engineer and he knows what he's doing but he has messed up the wiring so much that some lights don't work at all and he wires lights in the bathroom for example with the lights for another room.

We've had a professional electrician out twice now to fix it. My boyfriend has told him time and time again that it's too dangerous and even though he used to do it, he's not as sharp as he once was and we are scared that he'll hurt himself. I've heard his father say that basically he needs something to do all day and he's lonely.

We planted a garden last year to try and get him involved in that but he wasn't interested. He does live alone and we've tried to occupy him with going out for walks and other things but he gets so obsessed with "I've got too many things to do at the house," and it's like you can't stop him.

Does anyone have an advice on things we could try? We have read that we should try not to frustrate dementia suffers but his actions are taking a toll on the whole family. Help!

Does he have ALS? If not then there other sites to deal with dementia. Only a small percentage of ALS patients get dementia as well. It may be time to think about putting him in a home or getting him some full time care before he hurts himself.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back