Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
Do any of you in a power chair access your van by tilting the chair through the opening? If so, how difficult is this? Do you need an attendant to allow you to do this? And, what height is the van door opening that you have?

Anybody over 6' tall?

We will obviously consult with the PWC vendor and the ramp/conversion people, but I'd really like to hear from those that actually use a PWC.

Thanks!:p

My husband has to recline the chair just a little tiny bit to clear the mini-van door. Our new challenge is that his last two fingers are fading fast and maneuvering the chair inside the van to point him forward is too difficult for him - I had to do it. btw - my husband is only 5'10".

Thanks for the quick response. Do you have an attendant switch on the back of the chair - or how did you manage?

Hi CJ,

My current PWC only has one control, but that is all I need ;)

My Van has a 50" clearance going in the side. I just lean forward a bit, as my chair is not adjustable.

Glen

That is one reason we purchased a rear entry van, the clearance was more, we have 56"

Joel,

We were told we need at least 56" also. What kind of vehicle do you have that has that clearance? Was it modified?

My husband is not really listening to me about this stuff. I'm just trying to think way down the road. Like when I need to take him somewhere and he is unable to work the chair. He calls me negative, but I call myself realistic. He flies by the seat of his pants, but I PLAN! LOL Opposites attract!

I want him to be able to get out as much as he wants, as he is a very social person. But I don't want it to be such a hardship on him and myself that I am reluctant to even try. And don't anyone take that the wrong way, please.

I understand completely what you are saying!

Van

Another consideration is a Ford Transit, it comes stock with a 59 inch clearance - without modification. All you would need to do is install a lift, this is significantly cheaper than the modified handicapped vans.

thx Joel! My husband has been looking at the Transit, but the dealer didn't tell him there is an ADA version.

CJ -

We have controls on the back of the w/c, but they only do the recline/tilt functions. Because the front passenger seat in the van is removable - I don't have it in there when we are using the van - it's in their when we aren't (I don't need it sitting in the garage taking up space if the van is in the driveway and no one is going anywhere). Anyway, because that front passenger seat space is just floor space, I jump in there and run the joystick that way. When he had better dexterity, he could manuever it into the front passenger space - but now that he doesn't and I have to try to turn the w/c around in the van, I have him riding in the back/middle - we have the kind of tie-downs that you can pretty much locate him anywhere and secure the w/c. One thing to be wary of - I have heard (but haven't tested this or experienced it - that the w/c's will not move in "drive" mode if they are reclined too far.

We bought our van used from a mobility dealer - we rented one for a weekend before that just to get a feel for it's usability. It was about $200 for the weekend - but gave us a good feel for what would get.

CJ, We don't have the newest van out there. Were found an old conversion van that had a lift installed in the back. The clearance is about 3" too short for Earl. He has to tilt his head to the side going in and out. His chair does not tilt. Best advice is to get a chair that tilts. This will give more leway when getting a van. BTW, Earl is 6' 1". Our chair does have manual control. We just throw a lever in back and I can push it by hand. It's a little stiff but still moves easily enough.

I fully understand the diff of having a husband so much taller. I'm only 5'. As he is over 6' it has made for so laughs and unfortunately some falls as well. Those darned feet have a mind of their own. *he has size 13 feet.* It doesn't help that I trip over EVERYTHING!

Hugs and Prayers!

We are looking at getting the elevator on the PC. How does that effect the height on the van doors? Good for inside harder to get in van?
Not ordered yet waiting on insurance approval so I could change if needed I guess.

From my experience the elevating feature does not increase the height when it is its lowered state over one without this feature. . The 2 power wheelchairs I have had prove this to be correct.

yes, one can get all excited about getting an electric wheelchair and forget you need to be able to take it out for a ride from time to time. This is all such expensive stuff:-(
Irismarie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back