kelly

Country
US
State
ny
City
saratoga springs
Hello Everyone,
Not sure what the heck I am doing wrong with my hubbys feeding tube. We recently started crushing his pills and putting them through the feeding tube. The problem is that I have not fine tuned the process so that the tube does not get clogged. I end up wasting a good percentage of the pills from clogging. We have been using a coffee grinder in order to crush the pills..brings it to a fine powder. Any tips would be really appreciated! Staying strong in Saratoga

Hi Kelly, I have been crushing my Rilutek in a pill crusher and they crush up to a very fine powder and I haven't had any problems clogging. But they are only a small pill and I use a lot of water so I don't know how it would be with more/bigger pills. I bought the pill crusher at WalMart and I have seen them at other drug stores too so you might want to try one rather than the coffee grinder. I hope that you can get this figured out, the drugs are too expensive to waste.

Barry

Other than Rilutek , my pharmacy will be able to supply me with liquid forms of the medicines and supplements I am taking. This has been arranged ahead of time.

Could you not crush the rilutek and mix it in liquid ?

Glen

Pill Clog

:idea: We had problems with Tim's Potassium pills crushed clogging his tube. He is on a lot of meds. I have some in liquid. We take a cup and add hot water to it. Crush the pills, stir well and let it set for a little while.

While Tim was in the hospital. They used the Adult Lopez Valve on the end of his PEG. It made it so much easier. I use it now. I have attached a picture and the link. They are problably sold at a local Medical Supply. The valve fits into the PEG tube. So you don't have to keep opening and closing the little rubber flap on the tube that seems to ware our so easily. The valve allows you to insert the syringe, open the vavle, and down goes the meds. We pour the cup of mixed up meds through the open syringe. Then pour water behind it to flush. Then all you do is close the valve. Very easy and hassle free. It also makes it easier if you have to get something down quick.

I also makes it easier to get air off the stomach. By just inserting the open syringe. Turning the valve on, and then off.

On this site they are $3.16. So far one has lasted us over a month. But I also clean it once a week.

http://www.allegromedical.com//pati...03454&CS_010=ff80808111238d9d011124bf2edf5c8b

Lorie

Attachments

• Lopez-Enteral-Valve-549281-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg
    Lopez-Enteral-Valve-549281-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 2,179
pills causing PEG tube clogs

Some of my husband's finely crushed medications don't dissolve well in water. His doctor suggested using an ounce or two of OJ and stirring for a minute. I let it sit for a 3to 5 minutes, stir it up again and then head for the peg tube. There is a clamp on the PEG tube which narrows the tube somewhat even when the clamp is open. Sometimes the pill particulates build up there and if I just pry the clamp open just a tiny bit, everything just runs on through. A cool way we have handled it is to just hook up the gravity bag used for my husband's liquid nutrition. I dump in a little water and prime the tube, then start it flowing. I pour in the OJ/medication suspension and stand there until it runs in. This usually only takes 2 minutes or so. As the juice is ending, I dump in a little more water, shake up the bag to get the last particles of medication and when that is about gone, then I just dump a little more water. Let the water run through and when all is looking clear, shut it all down and disconnect. Wah-lah...the PEg tube is flushed in the bargain.

We found that after using a pill crusher, we had to further grind them in a morter and pestle to avoid tube clogs. I eventually found that the pill crusher was more trouble that it was worth. A nice marble morter and pestle from the local kitchen supply store (get larger than you would think) does the job well and is easier on your hands. I put several pills in the bottom of the morter and sort of drop the pestle (holding onto it of course) onto the pills a few times until they crack up. I do about 4 pills at a time. Then just scrubbing the pestle around and around pulverizes everything into a fine powder. Believe it or not, I use a funnel with narrow tip and dump the powder into tiny zip lock bags I get at the bead store. I do two weeks of his pills at a sitting, usually just working on it as we watch TV. It's no big deal anymore, you just have to develop your routine. We had lots of clogs and spills, leaks, everything that could go wrong did go wrong...but eventually we got the hang of it. I definately vote for the Lopez Valve! We tried without for the 1st 6 months and then someone sent us one. His peg tube originally didn't have a clamp either, and we got one and put it on ourselves. Lord, have these two things made the job easier and way fewer leaks, etc. Prior to the Lopez Valve, the little plastic flap/stopper on the end of the PEG tube would come undone as my husband moved about during the day - he had several huge leaks that soaked his clothing, etc. With the Lopez Valve, that has not happened again.

This is great info I'm learning here for when the time comes my husband will need his PEG tube. Thanks for all the great tips!

You guys are awesome...I seriously got choked up when I saw that so many members took time to respond to to the post. Thank you ..thank you..thank you! Hope everyone makes the best of today. We are off to pool therapy!

Hello Everyone,
Not sure what the heck I am doing wrong with my hubbys feeding tube. We recently started crushing his pills and putting them through the feeding tube. The problem is that I have not fine tuned the process so that the tube does not get clogged. I end up wasting a good percentage of the pills from clogging. We have been using a coffee grinder in order to crush the pills..brings it to a fine powder. Any tips would be really appreciated! Staying strong in

Saratoga

Try filling tube with water,open valve (as water is flowing) pour crushed pills in and add more water right after to push through. Also try to elevate as much as possible to maximize flow-
I also find that opening that valve clamp ALL the WAY (almost more than you think you need) really helps to make things flow.

I forgot to tell you. A Nurse at the Hospital told us to pour some canned Coke down it and it will desolve the Clog!

Lorie

We actually used coke to dissolve mom's pills and did as Lorie suggested, flushed with coke if we got a clog. It took us many trials of different crushers and mixers before we got something down that worked well.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but one of our CNA's suggested we heat the water we mix the meds in before mixing. We use about 15 sec for 2 oz of water, in a plastic cup and this has worked extremely well. Just double check the temp before before dispensing through the gtube. Works really well for Ensure too.

peg tube blockage

Hello, We crushed the meds with a mortar and pestle, then dissolved them in about 4-6 oz. of water. Flushed the tube with water then put meds thru the tube and flushed again. We used a syringe for all feeding and had few problems with clogging up. The syringe picked up all the meds well and flush made sure they all went thru to stomach. We then proceeded to do feed and flush again.
Hope this helps . We also pulled back on the syringe to unblock the tube. It worked and we never needed the coke!
Jane

Thanks for all the tips...my hands hurt from the pill crusher, so I'm gonna check out the mortar and pestle. Love the coke idea! Blessings to you all!

Good Luck! The use of the coke may be subject to the kinds of pills you have to crush. I know some easily turned to fine powder for us and disolved with water, others we fought and fought! Bless you and your dedication in caring for your husband, he's lucky to have you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back