Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Hello everybody, I thought that I would put this out. I have 10 people on my walk team so far and we will have a good time even if they have to push me around (more that normal)

http://www.als.ca/events/mysite.aspx?fid=2929

Barry

Hey Bro! Go for it...the good times and the fundraising are very connected!
Here is a comment from our first walk last year...looking forward to our next one in a couple of weeks too! I hope I'm here for a few more!
"
A surprise visit from "Team Sperling"..The town will never be the same. These are school friends of Ricks, some of which he has not seen in 30 years, who came out to support him. They left a smile on everyone they met, donuts for the police, and the Whitemouth Hotel Dry. An incredible group of people who whole heartedly showed their support. We welcome them back anytime! "

Have fun Barry!
Damn...wish we could have met under different circumstances! If I could walk I'd be out there!
Will be thinking of you!
Rick

Once again proud to call all of you guys friends:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Yay Barry! I am going to sign up for the ALS walk here in Montreal in September and my sister is signed up for the one in Toronto in June.

GO BARRY'S BRIGADE! :)

Rick, thanks and I'm proud to know you under any circumstances. It sounds like you had a great time on your walk last year and I love the part about the donuts for the police, too funny! We had a picnic after our walk last year and it was almost like a family reunion as my walk team folks are from all over Alberta and we don't get to see each other as much as I'd like. We'll be doing it again this year and I'm looking forward to it. And I hope that you didn't lose too much sleep over my hair comment. I can talk because lots of hair (ON MY HEAD) is about the only thing that I do have lots of.

Hopingfor cure, ditto to that

Thelma, my first walk last year was a lot of fun and I know that you and your sister will both have a good time for a good cause and will meet a lot of good people. Hey it's ALL Good when we're raising money for ALS support and research!

Barry

Good Luck in your walk Barry. Our local walk is May 30th. Oddly enough I am already an event coordinator for a different walk on the same day and same time. Urgghh. A friend's daughter is walking in the ALS walk in honor of her friend's father who died of ALS in Jan. I am going to steer some family donations through her and hope to walk next year.

Wish I could make it out for your walk! But then you would have to come for mine! We will call it even. LOL

DgtofTNfan, thanks. I'm sorry that you can't make your local ALS walk but am glad that you have a walker to be there for you.

Joel, you're right, I wish I could come to your walk, when and where is it? I'm sure that we'll both have good time at our walks and raise a lot of money so that does make us even.

Barry

We are participating in the local Walk for ALS here for the mid island on June 7th. We are actually getting very hyped up for it. We are getting tons of family support and participants. I have never looked forward to exercising in my whole life..lol, but this is waaaay different.

Barry,

That is a nice web page, its informative, doesn't get too wordy. The picture of you makes you look like you're some sort of celebrity, you know, just cool with your hat and shades on, drinking coffee, hanging out.... good luck with everything 8)

I've walked one, been pushed one, rode 2 in a chair. No matter what, we all gain. Best of luck Barry.

AL.

Going on the one in Wpg. on June 6th. Hope to bring in tons of money to find a cure.

Hello everyone, We went to the Edmonton walk yesterday and and my team raised over $4000! I am very happy to have reached the goal that I set and we still have more money coming in. It was a beautiful day, bright and sunny and there was a great turnout.

I managed to walk partway and then got pushed in my loaner transport chair. The only problem was that the chair had no foot rests! I didn't notice this (not being very informed about wheelchairs) until I went to sit in it as I had just been using it as a walker and a place to carry my talker. Anyway it was either do the Fred Flintstone thing and walk while sitting or put my legs straight out in front or tuck them under. I was going to mug a passing rollerblader but he was too fast. I should have walked, I would have been more comfortable. The good news is that while I was in the chair being pushed and looking very uncomfortable a woman came up beside us and asked if I needed a power chair. Her dad had one and since he passed away her mom had it in storage. She wants to donate it to a PALS so I have her phone number and will get my wife to phone about it.

We had a great picnic after and everyone had a good time. There were 17 people in my team including me and all but five had to drive at least 2 hours to get there. We even had my wife's sister from Ottawa come! A great time with great people. Thanks to everyone on the forum for your encouragement and support, it really does make a difference! :grin:

Here are some pictures

album.php

picture.php

picture.php

Barry,

Congratulations on your walk! The day certainly looked spectacular!
And, it seems the transport chair worked for you after all!

mare

Barry,

Way to go! This is awesome. I am so impressed. Congratulations on meeting your goal. It must feel great.
On Friday my Dad called my sister in Toronto and used his Dynavox for the first time. He is getting a real kick out of it and has the most positive attitude! Later my sister sent me a text message that read simply, "Dad is my hero."
I am humbled by the courage and the positivity of some of you PALS.
Barry Godsalve, you too are a hero!

P.S. Great news about the chair! (It's your good karma.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back