Not open for further replies.

violetivy

Country
US
State
NY
City
Center Moriches
Hello. Just got back from Dr. He took an Xray - turns out it's also muscle pain. I have NO idea what's going on with my body and fear I'm the next candidate for TLC's Medical Mysteries. Not sure if there's more I should be doing. I am on my second cycle of Doxyclycline - it does help but just a little. I didn't know it could also act as an anti-inflammatory. I know this isn't a virus. I've had it for way too long and nothing is showing up in the blood. It's quite scary when Dr.s are scratching their heads.

EMG is tomorrow!

Hi Violet,
I don't understand...muscle pain can show up on an x-ray? Can you elaborate....because I had, up until about two weeks ago, some serious muscle pain in hamstrings (for 10 long months) and am really curious...

Good luck on that EMG, it really isn't that bad at all to experience

Lydia

No, it didn't show up on the Xray, he just determined it muscle pain because it wasn't pneumonia or anything. Sorry for the confusion....

oh, OK! I wondered what you meant...I had read somewhere about MRIs showing muscle damage of some sort and wondered if that was what you meant, only with x-ray. Thanks!

Violet,

Good luck with your emg.....let us know how it goes.
Why are you on Doxyclycline? I think alot of us could be on Medical Mysteries.

Lydia- x-ray's don't show muscle. It is used more for the bones.

Thanks! I have to say I'm pretty nervous.

Hey VioletIvy,

EMG's are not that bad.

Just go in there with the phrase: "OOOO THANK YOU , may I have another?"

Glen

Ha Ha! Thanks GLEN! I will think of that when it's being done :)

Crystal, to answer your question, my Dr. initially thought it was Lyme, so he treated me with Doxy until the test came back. But, I don't seem to have Lyme but the Doxy is helping me somewhat so he's kept me on until the EMG.

Retest

...I don't seem to have Lyme but the Doxy is helping me somewhat so he's kept me on until the EMG.

GOOD! I think Lyme is notoriously difficult to detect. Even if the test says that you're clean, you could still have Lyme. If Doxy helps, take it! Go for a 2nd opinion on Lyme. Try a different Dr. and a different LAB. It's okay to let ALS go "untreated", but if it's Lyme, you want to treat it.

Violet,

Like Adrian said, If the doxy is working keep on top of the lyme thing. It always does show positive.

EMG is over. Not fun. Glen, you really helped me through it because I kept uttering that phrase! Thank you! They said it was clean, not as much of a response on the left as there was on the right, but he said it was okay. So, that's over and it's clean. He said he could test me for MS and do a muscle biopsy, but I could wait on that. I decided to wait because I just want to move on a little. Next step is a rheum...
Thanks for all of the support!

If they are saying its not ALS , thats great news.

Once it is figured out what is bothering you , it can be dealt with.

Glen

My dr. just called. my xray shows pneumonia. i have been taking doxy, but i guess that doesn't matter. i have to call because i'm sure I can't take both antibiotics at the same time. My 5 year old has shingles! there seems to be a plague upon my house! upwards and onwards.

Gee Violet, pneumonia on top of everything else? "a plague on both your houses"...wasn't that from Romeo & Juliet? And shingles? How did your daughter come to have shingles? I thought that comes when your immune system is compromised (having lived with an organ transplantee and also a bone-marrow transplantee I am pretty familiar with the infamous shingles!)

Sending some good thoughts your way; hoping you come through all this relatively unscathed. :D

Lydia

congrats on the clean EMG

violetivy,

That does seem like a double wammy. I would get your doctor's take on the pneumonia treatment. We have a friend who is wrestling with it right now.

Best wishes,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back