Reason
Other
Country
SPA
State
Spain
City
Madrid
First of all, sorry for my English. It is not my mother tongue.
The reason for this email is to explain my reoccupation with some symptoms that I feel and its possible relationship with ALS.

About 2 weeks ago I began to notice that my right hand was quite sleepy at night especially, and I also felt a tingling sensation. Sometimes I also felt it in my left hand, but in less intensity.

I also noticed strange sensations in my legs and feet. I started obsessing with ALS after reading online.

I also have to indicate that at that moment I noticed discomfort in my shoulders and neck.

I visited two neurologists. They indicated an EMG and a magnetic resonance.

The result of the EMG is that I have reduced sensory conduction speed and normal motor speed (I do not know if this is related to ALS, since ALS is a disease that affects the motor).

After this test I was told that I have carpal tunnel in my right hand.

The result of the MRI is that I have a small protrusion at the vertebral level C5-C6. The rest is within normality.

I also visited a physiotherapist who told me that I have two shoulder contractions.

I know there are several symptoms and possible causes, but after informing me about ALS I am very afraid that it could be an initial stage of ALS. I have also read that carpal tunnel is sometimes diagnosed when in fact it is the beginning of ALS. I do not know if this is correct.

I have the review with the neurologist next week. I would like you to help me because sometimes due to my anxiety I see symptoms or I feel things that I do not know if they have a real origin, like discomfort in the foot or I see fasciculations or tingling in several places.

Thank you

Hi there- have a read here: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26591
It explains about sensory symptoms such as tingling and pain.

Your nerve conduction results point away from ALS, as does your clinical exam, your normal result from your emg and the feedback from your physiotherapist. This is good news. Your neurologist will be able to explain exactly what the treatment plan will be with you at your next appointment, but it sounds like you can eliminate ALS from your concerns.

Your symptoms don’t suggest ALS.

You are mentioning sensory symptoms — numbness, tingling, pain, “strange sensations”. ALS is a disease of motor neurons, and sensory symptoms aren’t part of the picture, especially not early in the disease.

Fasciculation/ twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure.

So you can put your mind at ease in terms of ALS. I’m sure the neurologist will reassure you.

Help! Concierned about als

Sorry for writing again, but I'm still worried about possible symptoms. As I told you, I have been sleeping with my hands for less than a month, I notice that my hands get numb and tingly at times. I am anxious and I also sometimes feel like pricking or tingling in my feet. the problem is that as I told them, the neurologist said that he thought he had Hoffman's sign on his right hand, which is what a week ago they told me I have a mild carpal tunnel. all these united symptoms make me worry a lot

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a pinched nerve in the wrist. It can lead to numbness and tingling in the hand. It is easily treatable.

ALS is a brain disease. It does not cause numbness and tingling and is very different than carpal tunnel syndrome.

A Hoffman’s sign can be seen in a lot of people and is not specific for ALS. Some people have it as a normal variant.

You do not have evidence of ALS.

I am worried because the sensation of numbness and tingling mainly in my right hand does not disappear. I have read that the problems in the neck and neck can cause these sensations too. As I have discomfort in the shoulder and neck I do not know if they can also cause the carpal tunnel or and you are sensations. I'm very worried about Hoffman's sign because they say it's caused by damage in the upper neuron. I read in this forum that some people tell you by mistake that it is carpal tunnel before diagnosing als ...

Shoulder and neck problems can contribute sometimes to numbness and pain in the arm and hand.

I believe I already answered your other questions about carpal tunnel syndrome and Hoffman’s sign in my previous post.

Since you have recently seen a neurologist, please address further questions to your neurologist. There’s not much more that people on this forum can do to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back