Reason
Other
Country
US
State
MO
City
Hannibal
I am a 22 year old male, healthy, 185lbs, white, 6 feet tall.

I began twitching 2 months ago, in nearly every muscle in my body, in general though they were single twitches - 1 twitch in my bicep, then shoulder, then quad, calf glutes and so on. Maybe 100 a day, they were twitches you could see and feel but not extraordinary powerful. Repetitive twitches in the same muscle were infrequent. About 2 week ago, most of the twitching subsided for a few days *minimal* twitches maybe even none for a brief period. Then it came back in the past few days. This time like 10 twitches in my calf at a time, or quad, or abdomen, or eyebrow. Even my hands, and toes.

Also as of the past week, I’ve felt like buzzing in the tips of my fingers (might be subtle twitching I can’t see?

Within the last 30 days I had a period of hand aches that lasted for approx 2-3 weeks. Starting in left, but eventually effected both hands. Same with feet, it is better now.

Less than 30 days ago I passed my physical with no weakness, and 2+ reflexes bilateral.

I am not experiencing clinical weakness for example I completed a workout yesterday, pull ups 30lbs on top of my body weight, I can walk, drive, and get dressed. My left hand feels weird/uncoordinated. But isn’t “weak” I doubt I could type and text and hold my body weight plus 30lbs on the pull up bar if I was weak.

Blood test ruled out electrolyte deficiency.

Obviously, this has left me pretty stressed and uneasy. I can’t really afford an EMG at the moment..

Last edited:
Bob, you have given yourself the best self diagnosis not to be worried about ALS...

"I am not experiencing clinical weakness for example I completed a workout yesterday, pull ups 30lbs on top of my body weight, I can walk, drive, and get dressed. My left hand feels weird/uncoordinated. But isn’t “weak” I doubt I could type and text and hold my body weight plus 30lbs on the pull up bar if I was weak."

Not being able to afford an EMG is not an excuse if you are overly concerned about
having a terminal disease.

And... "I am a 22 year old male, healthy, 185lbs, white, 6 feet tall."

That gives you about the same odds as having a winning lottery ticket.

Most important... start with seeing a doctor (PCP) first before you post again
if your concerns won't let this go.

Go back to working out... something that is now out of the question for us here.

Thanks, I’ve seen the PCP. He left the EMG pretty much up to me and asked what I’d feel more comfortable with.

I understand the weakness aspect, which I’m obviously happy about but twitching/aches aren’t usually the presenting symptoms?

I have no family history with this disease

I agree with you, my primary concern is the twitching, the hand aches that are now gone, and the present feeling of the left hand feeling uncoordinated/weak/off

Last edited:
Hi Bob-

It's not clear you have read the "Read Before Posting" thread: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26591 Things like aches and buzzing, twitching, etc are not compelling reasons to fear ALS. Twitching is like saying you have a cough- so general as to not really signify anything unless you also show other neurological issues- which you do not, according to your doctor. Try searching "twitches" in any weightlifting or fitness forum and you'll see how common it is.

I don’t disagree with you at all. I have read the sticky, several times but can’t seem to grasp how unlikely Itd be for me to have it.

I get what you’re saying re: weightlifting’. My concern is, I’ve been at it for over 6 years and this symptom just started out of nowhere 2 months ago.

I suppose I know if I was weak, based on above I’m not. It also seems the ALS rarely present with twitching as first symptom?

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless especially in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described.

Your question about ALS presenting with twitching as the first symptom— generally not, as there would be some sort of failure along with the twitching.

Karen, thank you.

I guess I should be alright for now. Hoping for the best

Is there even a cause for concern for me or am I just being anxious?

Bob, it appears you are being quite anxious, because a few people have answered you already that twitching does not indicate anything. You even stated yourself that you can't quite grasp the likelihood- so please direct your concerns to your doctor, as ALS is not at all in the picture based on your reported twitches and aches.

Please re-read the "Read Before Posting" link you've been provided again. It sounds like you're struggling to believe the folk here, but there's not much more we can answer for you if you remain focused on ALS and can't take in the reassurances.

I agree. Well, thanks. Do you think an EMG is worthwhile or won’t be of much benefit at this point?

I emailed the Neuro who had access to my charts. He just said you can do the EMG, or just an office visit, whatever is going to be less probvoking to my anxiety.

For whatever it’s worth, my left hamstring just cramped and last night my right quad was aching on the side in bed, the same thing happened today while sitting at work. Not sure if anything changes...

Not really. Your best bet is to consult with the doctor. There's only so much strangers on the internet can do for you. Particularly as your doctor has examined you, has baseline measurements and your entire medical history at their fingertips.

You are correct I’m sorry.

I just spoke to a family member who’s an MD, he said “you don’t have ALS”

Then, I also heard the twitching doesn’t stop and resume? Mine stopped or SIGNIFICANTLY [90+% cut back] for a week or 2. I guess just anxiety.

Cramps and twitching - what value would an EMG be?

22 years old, male, white, healthy

Ive had twitching for the better part of the past 2 months. There was a brief period where it subsided (way less occurrences throughout the day). These twitches were usually 1 twitch in quad, 1 in glute, 1 in arm, etc, but also occurred as series of twitches like twitch twitch twitch twitch twitch all in the same spot, generally less than 10 seconds or so. I’ve had them in hands, feet, eyebrow, toes, calves, ankles, quads, hamstrings, glutes, torso, neck, bicep, triceps, shoulder, back.

Also, my hands/feet ached for 2-3 weeks - randomly - no injury etc. This is gone.

My right quad is crampy, and my left hamstring cramped yesterday.

When I was doing biceps curls, my biceps felt tight, quicker than usual yesterday.

This cramping is new (last week or so was the first instance).

Finally, when I was training my legs I got short of breath quicker than usual. This has happened a few times in the past few months. Some times worse than others. The strength is there, but the endurance is not. I’d argue this isn’t even muscle fatigue rather shortness of breath.

About a month ago, I had a physical, which included routine bloodwork ruling out electrolytes and stuff of that nature. I passed the strength and reflex portion 5/5, and 2+ bilaterally.

I do not have weakness, as far as I can tell. No trouble walking and I am not dropping things.

I’m wondering if ALS should even be on my radar?

Re: Cramps and twitching - what value would an EMG be?

Posting this new thread after your first thread just yesterday is... stunning.

From your first thread...

"I just spoke to a family member who’s an MD, he said “you don’t have ALS”

Today's thread...

"I’m wondering if ALS should even be on my radar?"

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back