Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Austin
I don't know if I'm in the minority on this. But lately, tipping has begun to really irritate me.
It started about 10 years ago when I walked into a restaurant to pickup my phone order. I went to the register, gave my card, and was given the receipt to sign.
It had a tip line on it. I thought, "I haven't even gotten my food, yet there asking me to give them money when I hadn't yet been served".

At the time, I thought this was odd. I was taught to show your appreciation for GOOD service. And, to supplement lower wage earners. Back then, it was appreciated rather than expected.
Now, it seems to be expected!
These days, everywhere I go, there's a tip jar.

Last week, a friend went to pickup food for us, the hostess brings the bag, and has a big tip jar in front of her. For handing us our food!
This is my rant for the year! Am I being too sensitive?

No Marty, I don’t think you’re being too sensitive at all. A number of years ago when I was at a ski resort, I was taken aback by seeing a tip jar at the sales counter of a store. I went in to buy some sun block and lip balm, and there was this tip jar. Ridiculous!

I agree with tipping for tour guides, wait staff at a restaurant. hotel maids (they work hard and make a pittance), and for anyone who provides exceptional service. But for store checkers? Sorry....

I usually just throw loose change in those types of jars. When I eat out, which is rarely, I'm a generous tipper. If the meal or service is not satisfactory, I make a comment and leave less than I normally would.

There was a sign in a restaurant, "Tipping is not a city in China." LOL

Here most places have a jar for change but it all goes to some charity!

Coincidence. I visited my grandchild yesterday. When I was leaving, I had a flat tire. Called the service to repair. When signing the receipt, there was a tip line. I gave him $5. He was standing over me watching.
I was hesitant to tip. $73 to fix.
I've always been a generous tipper. I guess I must be old. We never tipped a repair person when I was younger, unless there were extraordinary circumstances.
Should we tip at McDonalds, home repairs, gas station, etc? Lol

Maybe you can start writing on the tip line things like: my tip is don't smoke or laugh every day. Some great tip for life and act surprised that this wasn't the meaning of them asking for a tip? :lol:

Tipping is indeed a tricky question when traveling abroad

Tipping. This is just me.

Japan: very insulting to even think of it. Never offer or leave any money for anyone.
China: quickly pocketed, because it is illegal.
Philippines: You're the richest person in the place and expected to tip like it.
Thailand, Korea: Expected from tourists. No one else does it (I think).
In Europe, the staff are paid a living wage and don't need tips. That said:
Germany: just round up and don't ask for change. Four beers and two schnitzels might cost 36 Euros. Hand her 40 and say "Stimmt." (Correct. Even. Keep the change.)
Italy, Hungary, Czech, Iceland, England: Whatever you do, they'll assure you you're a wonderful customer.
France: no matter what you do, it's wrong.
Egypt, Kenya, Jamaica, Caribbean islands: In the tourist areas, they insist on twice what you're offering. In the common town areas, anything is fine.
USA:
-- 20-25 pct for wait staff, 10 pct for cabbies. Baggage handlers: dollar per bag, min $3. Haircut: $10. Pizza driver: $7.
-- Cafeteria and stand-in-line eateries: Put two bucks in the jar.
-- Cafeterias where wandering stafffer, refills your coke,
-- Repairmen, lawn workers, installers at your house: Give them each a cold Coke.
-- Mechanics and laborers at their place of employment. Pay the bill exactly, smile and walk away.

December: I visit each little mom'n'pop restaurant where they know me well, and I give my regular waiter/waitress $40-$80 bucks for Christmas.

Wherever I go, they remember me and give me whatever I want, including friendly conversation to make me feel at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back